What's new

Drummin' BOTL roll call.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
So the guitar players on here have already started up a thread of shop talk and whatnot... Any drummers on here, or am I all alone?

I have been playing for 21 years, have two sets - a 1960's Pearl and a 5/3ply Maple 4 piece kit that I had built. I played heavily in my 20's... made records with a Ska-punk band, a shoegaze band, an experimental electro/post-punk band, and a singer/songwritter... my drumming even has been on some teenie-bopper TV shows on the WB. I did some touring, met some people, and gave it up when I realized that I wasn't getting any younger and had to start planning for the future. I miss it terribly, but look forward to teaching my son in the next year or two (when he can finally reach the pedals).

What about you guys? Anyone else out there breeze the skins?

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I was a drummer in high school. Loved the drumline. Did a lot of marching. I never had the coordination for a set though. My left hand is kinda tarded when it comes to arguing with my right foot. That being said, I did play set for pep rallys and basketball games etc. Just never got back into it once I got out of high school. That being said, I do still get chills down my spine listening to a proper dummer playing some beats. More power to ya Sean!

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Been playin for a long time. Used to teach percussion to middle school kids. Don't have a set right now, but plan to pick up another one in the future.

-Chrisso

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I played from my young teens until my late 20's.. played with a couple of different local bands over the years and had a lot of fun... my original set was a little 4 piece gretsch... then played a 6 piece tama set for several years before hanging up the sticks....

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Just started taking lessons about a month ago, one of those things I've always wanted to do. Figured I wasn't getting any younger...lol
Way to go , brother! I am sure any one of us here would be happy to talk-shop and/or answer questions. Have you bought a set yet, or are you starting on a pad to learn your rudiments? I am sure Ecks could smoke me on the rudiments... I was never much of a drumline guy. These days, I'd be lucky if I could para-diddle around the set without crossing myself up.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I was in concert band from 7th grade till graduation. I played in the drum section throughout playing in Jazz band, marching and was in a band on the side until just after college. I had a 5pcs Ludwig set with double base peddles, was going to really upgrade my kit but I did not find another band so I have not played since but I really would love to start back.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I was a drummer in high school. Loved the drumline. Did a lot of marching. I never had the coordination for a set though. My left hand is kinda tarded when it comes to arguing with my right foot. That being said, I did play set for pep rallys and basketball games etc. Just never got back into it once I got out of high school. That being said, I do still get chills down my spine listening to a proper dummer playing some beats. More power to ya Sean!
+1 Word for word....except I managed to get a couple more years marching in college....before UW asked me to leave, anyway

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
The Mrs. plays Taiko
Do you have them in your house!? My wife (who is half-japanese) wants to get some to bring some more "culture" into the house... but I am not sure where to put them.
No, My wife belongs to a drumming group/troup.
We have just a drum pad for her to practice on.

but not all Taiko are giant drums.
The main drum is about the same size or a little bigger than your avg bass drum.
They also use a tympany durm (I think that it), its the small drum similar to what you would play in a marching band.
That smaller drum is usually played to keep the tempo for the rest of the group.

Im sure in San Diego, she can find a rec class of some sort to practice or play.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
The Mrs. plays Taiko
Do you have them in your house!? My wife (who is half-japanese) wants to get some to bring some more "culture" into the house... but I am not sure where to put them.
No, My wife belongs to a drumming group/troup.
We have just a drum pad for her to practice on.

but not all Taiko are giant drums.
The main drum is about the same size or a little bigger than your avg bass drum.
They also use a tympany durm (I think that it), its the small drum similar to what you would play in a marching band.
That smaller drum is usually played to keep the tempo for the rest of the group.

Im sure in San Diego, she can find a rec class of some sort to practice or play.
We don't have a very big Japanese population down here... and the ones that are here are very "exclusive," if you know what I mean. There seem to be two Taiko groups in San Diego - one that is for experienced players, and one that is run by Taiwanese-Americans... I think we may be able to get her started on Taiko with some Taiwanese kids. Thanks for the inspiration!

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Played percussion 7-10th grade. Played Snare & Toms depending on the occasion all throughout high school years. Played in a few parades including the Seattle's Macy's Day Parade 2 years. Had so much fun and really miss it, I still spin drum sticks anytime I see them. Still know the lead snare part to my high schools fight song by heart and haven't played in bad in 6 years now.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Played in Jr. High and right when I started to play a 7 pc set in highschool I started to work almost 30plus hrs a week. Seems I liked the taste of money at a early age. Interestingly I would like to learn to play the guitar at some point in my life then pick back up the sticks. Just to much space and noise to battle with at home.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Interestingly I would like to learn to play the guitar at some point in my life
Im with you there jfire... Ive been telling myself for 10 years that I was going to buy myself a guitar and learn to play... but never seem to get around to it... its on the bucket list though...

Presto

Padron Whore
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You could always build a soundproof room next to the lounge.... Then we could have a place to jam! I am sure the wife would LOVE that! I have 3 guitars and a partial drumset (I bought a cheap set off Craigslist and dabbled for a while, trying to teach myself). I then let it sit for a while and sold my cymbals and my Iron Cobra Hi-Hat stand. Would love to pick it up again and learn. I just can't seem to separate the bass drum rhythm from my hi-hat hand!!

Here's a GOD on the drums, IMHO.

[video=youtube_share;LuibdktNlWQ]http://youtu.be/LuibdktNlWQ[/video]

Played in Jr. High and right when I started to play a 7 pc set in highschool I started to work almost 30plus hrs a week. Seems I liked the taste of money at a early age. Interestingly I would like to learn to play the guitar at some point in my life then pick back up the sticks. Just to much space and noise to battle with at home.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have to say, Carter Beauford is the best thing to touch a set/kitchen. This guy is just insane... I love the fact that he plays ALL types of music, just to keep up with the styles.

[video=youtube_share;M9Pb6PF8LXA]http://youtu.be/M9Pb6PF8LXA[/video]

Of course, he's got nothin on the MadDrummer....

[video=youtube_share;ItZyaOlrb7E]http://youtu.be/ItZyaOlrb7E[/video]