What's new

dry cigars

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is there a point where a cigar loses quality and becomes worse off when it gets too dry?

I order some Rocky Patels and accidentally shipped them to my folks place in Key West. Can't get them for 2 or 3 weeks. Should I wait or should I try to get them soon!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
...thats kinda why we all spend so much time and energy (and money) obsessing about RH levels... is this a trick question?:hammersma :scratchhe

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
oy...so how long with the standard shipping packaging that most companies put on could they last?

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
very true...I know if it changes too much that they could crack but what happens if they get too dry for too long?

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
2 weeks in Florida is not a problem especially put in a baggie or tupperware.......cracking usually comes from overhumidification or when the cigar swells because it is to wet. If they do dry out, they lose the essential oils in the tobacco which provide the flavor and aroma.....the wrappers become brittle and the cigar is only good for starting fires.
Hope this helps......if it was 2 weeks during winter in Colorado, in the house with the furnace running, I would be worried but just ask someone to put them in tupperware or ziplock until you get there.

Doofus

Spoon!
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
thebigo said:
Is there a point where a cigar loses quality and becomes worse off when it gets too dry?

I order some Rocky Patels and accidentally shipped them to my folks place in Key West. Can't get them for 2 or 3 weeks. Should I wait or should I try to get them soon!
If the supplier prepared them for shipping like any of the places I have ordered from, 2-3 weeks, this time of year (Thinking of heat also, not just Rh), shouldn't hurt them. Having them put in tupperware certainly will help, but I wouldn't worry.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
thebigo said:
very true...I know if it changes too much that they could crack but what happens if they get too dry for too long?
If they get too dry for too long they can be permanently damaged and lose their bouquet. The timetable for this varies about as much as anything else in the cigar world. Best bet is not to test it. On your shipment question, you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I had my mother bring them to my friend in the local cigar shop and called him to have him store them until I got there. Gotta love it.