What's new

drying pipe tobacco ?

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received some tobacco in tins for Christmas and I'm not sure how to store it after its opened.
the loose stuff I buy in bulk comes in plastic bags and I transfer it to jars. So the question is will the it keep in the can? (after opening of course ) or should it go into jars?

And the aromatic stuff seems quite damp do you guys dry it for a certain amount of time or is it a feel thing?
I did a search and didn't get any results,I am finding the learning curve with pipes and accessory's is steeper then cigars, at least for me
IMG_1766.jpg

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’ve found that most Of the round tins with a metal top will be okay for about 3-6 weeks depending on how humid the room is. The square tins don’t reseal worth a crap, the tins with a plastic top are sometimes good for a few months.
drying your tobacco is subjective to taste, it does take some experimenting to figure out what’s best for you. I like most of my tobacco on the dryer side, just shy of crunchy is how I describe it.
A lot of aromatics use PG solution in their casings, this stuff will not dry out no matter how long you leave it out, so you have to adjust your technique to get a satisfactory smoke from these types.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information,I couldn't find a good answer,I did a google search and got some wierd stuff

BTW I had to seriously adjust my smoking rhythm that Mac Baren bit the hell out of my tongue :arghh:
I think I might have scars:LOL:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah, it’s definitely one you want to sip, not puff! Drying should help. I try to keep as small an ember as possible, right on the verge of it going out. I also don’t worry about how many times it has to be relight, the whole concept of smoking a bowl without any relights is a crock of bullshit.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s definitely one you want to sip, not puff! Drying should help. I try to keep as small an ember as possible, right on the verge of it going out. I also don’t worry about how many times it has to be relight, the whole concept of smoking a bowl without any relights is a crock of bullshit.

Thank you for the tip! I was in the mood for a mild smoke and this filled the bill but DAM the pain!. but when it hit its stride I really enjoyed it.
And I was wondering about the relights but I figured I wasn't packing it correctly, first time with roll cake (I think it was too loose) thanks again

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how quickly you smoke it. If it's going to be sitting around for a while then I'd put it in jars. Normally if it's damp I let it sit out for about an hour.

Ill get the jars!! there's no way ill smoke it fast enough. thanks for the info

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd also recommend jarring all of it, that is the only way it won't totally dry out.
Figuring out your rhythm of smoking for different tobacco's will take a while. Some of that tongue bite/burn is most likely some steam burn from smoking too hot. Depending on moisture content and burn temp, there can be a lot of steam in your smoke that'll do that. I know that one from doing it, lol.
Like Nathan said, casings on tobacco often include glycols and glycerins that won't dry out so it's always "fresh". With those I put the amount for a bowl full on a plate in the microwave for 10 second increments to sweat/steam the moisture out and let sit for 10 minutes. I smoke most of mine almost crunchy and sip them slow.
Patterns of tamping and relighting ultimately depend on you. Relight as many times as you need while you figure out what works best for you.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also recommend jarring all of it, that is the only way it won't totally dry out.
Figuring out your rhythm of smoking for different tobacco's will take a while. Some of that tongue bite/burn is most likely some steam burn from smoking too hot. Depending on moisture content and burn temp, there can be a lot of steam in your smoke that'll do that. I know that one from doing it, lol.
Like Nathan said, casings on tobacco often include glycols and glycerins that won't dry out so it's always "fresh". With those I put the amount for a bowl full on a plate in the microwave for 10 second increments to sweat/steam the moisture out and let sit for 10 minutes. I smoke most of mine almost crunchy and sip them slow.
Patterns of tamping and relighting ultimately depend on you. Relight as many times as you need while you figure out what works best for you.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I got all of it (NOT in sealed unopened tins) in jars ,Ill try the microwave method with the aromatic ones for sure and it looks like I need more practice, oh well!!!
it also seems like some tobaccos are not for new or inexperienced smokers or at least some are more forgiving then others

If you can't find jars get 7mm mylar bags with a seal.

7-Mil Zip Seal Mylar Bags. (topmylar.com)
My wife cans like mad ,I stole jars already and she took them back and got "nicer looking jars" so she could display the tobacco on a shelf in her "snug"

R9Pf4t4bQR6QUPeqpfR2Aw.jpg

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thank you for the information,I couldn't find a good answer,I did a google search and got some wierd stuff

BTW I had to seriously adjust my smoking rhythm that Mac Baren bit the hell out of my tongue :arghh:
I think I might have scars:LOL:
Not sure what it is about MacBaren, but being a pipester of near 40 years, I cannot get MacBaren to NOT bite me like a rabid dog.... just my $.02 worth. I have dried it, sipped it slowly (yes, I know how to do that) and it always bites me. Personally, I think it has something to do with chemistry in the mouth and MacBaren blends that just makes it difficult. I have found one MacBaren that I can smoke that is "tolerable", but still needs to be closely monitored while smoking and that is their Navy Flake.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not sure what it is about MacBaren, but being a pipester of near 40 years, I cannot get MacBaren to NOT bite me like a rabid dog.... just my $.02 worth. I have dried it, sipped it slowly (yes, I know how to do that) and it always bites me. Personally, I think it has something to do with chemistry in the mouth and MacBaren blends that just makes it difficult. I have found one MacBaren that I can smoke that is "tolerable", but still needs to be closely monitored while smoking and that is their Navy Flake.
I tend to agree that sometimes ‘bite’ has something to do with a persons chemistry. I’ve never had so much as a tingle from Burly’s and the only Mac Baron Blend that I can think of that had a nasty bite was Mixture, Scottish Blend, on the other hand most of the red Va’s will bite me.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree that sometimes ‘bite’ has something to do with a persons chemistry. I’ve never had so much as a tingle from Burly’s and the only Mac Baron Blend that I can think of that had a nasty bite was Mixture, Scottish Blend, on the other hand most of the red Va’s will bite me.
So I tried a bowl again last night and I got a good tingle just on the light up,somked it slow and did better then the first time (just sips) just not sure its worth it, especially being new to this.
the shop I got it from said it was real popular, so there may be alot to the personal chemistry theory .its interesting to here others experience with this brand

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I tried a bowl again last night and I got a good tingle just on the light up,somked it slow and did better then the first time (just sips) just not sure its worth it, especially being new to this.
the shop I got it from said it was real popular, so there may be alot to the personal chemistry theory .its interesting to here others experience with this brand
Yeah, life’s too short for BS. Jar it up and put it on a shelf for a few years and then revisit it.
the codger blends like Carter Hall or Prince Albert are a great place to start, these are very user friendly and you can work on developing your techniqu without having to fight a temperamental tobacco.

Last edited: