What's new

Drymistat humidifier- how to use?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi y'all. I bought this sucker when I was putting my Tupperdor together, but decided to use Bovedas instead. I've been putting it in my tiny leather humidor instead. It is supposed to maintain 70%, and the built-in hygrometer confirms this for what that is worth. Anyhow...the answers online have been a bit vague. When do I need to add distilled water to it?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have one of those and I add water to it when the chunks of goo become clearly defined. Add a bit of water at a time and see if it gets absorbed, The chunks of goo swell and become almost indistinguishable from each other.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have one of those and I add water to it when the chunks of goo become clearly defined. Add a bit of water at a time and see if it gets absorbed, The chunks of goo swell and become almost indistinguishable from each other.
Thanks! OK makes sense. The goo chunks are clearly defined for about 3/4 of the tube. Guess its refill time.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks! OK makes sense. The goo chunks are clearly defined for about 3/4 of the tube. Guess its refill time.
There also might be a “line” of some sort that states “add water” As well depending on the brand. But I’d go with Boudie’s advice as well and that’s what should happen. Be careful not to overfill it as those gel beads will expand.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
You will notice there are two lines on the tube. When you stand it upright and the goo chunks have shrunk to the point they are below the bottom line, add distilled water up to the top line. Once the goo chunks absorb the water you can lay it horizontally in your humidor again.

I have some of these that I bought when I first got into the hobby several years ago. I still use them today in a couple of my older wood humidors because those are a bit leaky so the 70rh they put off actually keeps the humidors around 65-67.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Update: I refilled it, and placed it in the new tupperdor to help it season. I had been keeping it in my little leather humidor...but I really don't have a good use for 70% RH, especially since I really want to use that humidor for dry boxing. Figure ill store it in the Xikar travel case when it's not being used to season.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Most shops that ship with humidification in the package use 69% Bovedas. Maybe they think it's better to have them a bit damp for the perils of shipping and travel then a bit dry. Might be something to remember when thinking of uses for the Drymistat.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Most shops that ship with humidification in the package use 69% Bovedas. Maybe they think it's better to have them a bit damp for the perils of shipping and travel then a bit dry. Might be something to remember when thinking of uses for the Drymistat.
Makes sense. I took it out of the little humidor. Figure I don't need any humidification in there if I'm gonna use it for dry boxing. :ROFLMAO: