What's new

DSLR/Mirrorless Camera Suggestions

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Hi everyone, my oldest son is going to be starting a Digital Photography class this year and it is recommended that DSLR grade camera be invested in. I don't know if he will go onto other classes or not, but I would like to take some classes as well (or private lessons with @rdomfoto) so I figure why not spend the money. I'm a cheapskate though and would really like to stay under $500 and have managed to find two cameras that I think would fit the bill…

Sony NEX-6 w/ 16-50mm Retractable Lens - $410
Samsung Galaxy NX w/ 18-55mm Lens - $500

Any thoughts on these? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
@dscl - The biggest issue with the Sony (and I've been a Sony shooter since they bought Minolta) is that it's a discontinued model. Not that it's a bad camera... in fact, I really liked the whole NEX line but now that it is discontinued, you'll find fewer and fewer accessories available. I have some thoughts about Samsung in general but, as my Mom always said, if you can't say anything nice...

If that $500 mark is a hard budget line, then go with the Sony.

But, if you're willing to go to $600, you have a couple of options and in order of my preference:
My biggest beef with the Fuji is that I just don't think their video capability is that great. Sony, of course, has the video portion nailed down but Panasonic (for me) edges out Sony in the mirrorless camera area for ease of use, added functionality, in-camera filters, and in-camera audio. And the Lumix iPhone app is really freaking cool and not to be dismissed as a gimmick.

Stay away from Nikon and Canon. At least when you're looking at mirrorless.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
From what rob said everything is correct.. I would def go with the OMD- em5 it's. Mirror less micro four thirds camera that shoots like a beauty! Honestly you can't even tell the difference. The lens Arsenal that's available to you because of the micro four thirds system is top notch, on top of that camera being amazing. I've seen AMAZING pictures come out of that baby. It's all about the shooter not the camera.