What's new

Dumb question

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I don't smoke many non-Cubans any more so I'm not sure about this but are beetles strictly a Cuban thing? If so, are non-Cubans treated with heat or something to kill the little bastards?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Beetles are a tobacco thing ... you can get them in any cigar under the right conditions. I've read where some mfgs were freezing their cigar prior to shipment. I do remember reading that Lew Rothman (of JR's) had a huge freezer in his warehouse.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I have no actual experience with this but I'll tell you what I've read in my reseach on the topic.

It depends, bad answer I know, but some people say they haven't noticed a difference and others say they have noticed a difference in their smokes. Most suggest if you feel more secure by freezing them to give it a shot on a small batch of cigars that you are familier with and see what you think after the thawing process. Good Luck!

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I know for a fact Padron and Caribe cigars (Camacho) freeze their stock. I have been in both of their warehouses. I would assume most domestic manufacturers do also.

Does it change the flavor? I belong to the camp that says "no". I think that the two brands mentioned above are pretty tasty so how bad can the taste be affected?

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I don't know if NC's are treated with anything, I have no knowledge of that. I DO know that I now freeze all cigars that go in my humidor now. I had a MINOR beetle problem, and I don't want to take any chances. I haven't noticed any change in flavor but that's just me.

Some vendors freeze their cigars in their warehouse. I doubt that any vendor would do this if there was any noticeable difference in flavor after freezing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what I figured the response would be. Just figured I would ask those who know more than I. Luckly I dont have to worry about beatles yet since the contents of my humidor probably cost about the same as the humidor it's self or maybe even less. I'm a cheapy I realy like expensive cigars but I hate buying them and seeing them dissapear.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Eventually your love for cigars will grow to the point you don't even think about how much the cigar you are smoking cost you. That's when the real enjoyment begins IMO.