What's new

Dunhill Plans Exit From Cigar & Pipe Business

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Via Halfwheel

I'll admit that I don't quite understand the web of distributors, manufacturers, & retailers. This story seems to contradict itself, though.

"British American Tobacco (BAT) has informed us of their intention to exit the handmade cigar and pipe tobacco business for the Dunhill brands, said Régis Broersma, president of General Cigar Co."

Then: "British American Tobacco has no plans to stop selling Dunhill tobacco products."

Not much info out there on this that I can find. Anybody know anything more? I'm not a long time piper, but I'd hate to see this brand leave the market. Several of their blends are some of my favorite, most-smoked tobaccos.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Via Halfwheel

I'll admit that I don't quite understand the web of distributors, manufacturers, & retailers. This story seems to contradict itself, though.

"British American Tobacco (BAT) has informed us of their intention to exit the handmade cigar and pipe tobacco business for the Dunhill brands, said Régis Broersma, president of General Cigar Co."

Then: "British American Tobacco has no plans to stop selling Dunhill tobacco products."

Not much info out there on this that I can find. Anybody know anything more? I'm not a long time piper, but I'd hate to see this brand leave the market. Several of their blends are some of my favorite, most-smoked tobaccos.
Definitely was a little confusing. Also interested in some clarification

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Dunhill has other tobacco products besides pipe tobacco and cigars. They also have a line of cigarettes, so that could be what the 2nd part meant.
I know they have a strong cigarette market in Asia. That could be it. Poorly worded/reported.

Hopefully more info becomes available soon. May start hoarding.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Even if they do and no one takes over , we've got a while to stockpile . Dunhill is such a big name though I'd be surprised if someone didn't take over production.

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it mean British American Tobacoo is no longer going to use General cigar as a distributor maybe? I'm not too savvy on the inner workings of who's in bedded with whom and how deeply but I cannot see how a brand that's this well known and dependable is walking away from making money.

MrZ