What's new

"Dust" from humidifier on cigar in humidor

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I went by a different B&M yesterday since it was cold and they have a lounge. When checking out what they had in the humi I noticed almost all of them had a thin film of dust or something like it on them. When I went into the lounge and the owner came in and introduced himself to "the new guy" I commented about it. a couple of other guys in the lounge had wondered the same thing but never asked. He said it was coming from the humidifier. The on they had was putting out a lot of vapor in the form of a mist. I'd not seen one doing that before. Is this normal for some humidifiers or are they doing something wrong? Made me not want to buy anything.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My guess is that it's mineral deposit from hard water coming through the humidifier. It will build up on the cello of full boxes that sit in the humi for several months. Shouldn't be an issue but this is why it's a good idea to use distilled water in your home humi where you're aging cigars for a long time.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
CalixtoLopez is spot on. Even in an RO system if the water is too hard you can see it build up over time. If the store has any type of regular business I wouldn't concern myself with it as the cigars in open boxes are likely being turned quick enough that there won't be any deposits on the cigars. And even if there was I wouldn't think it would have any effect on the cigars