What's new

DVR's / TIVO ????'s

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I think I'm going to get my parents a DVR for Christmas but I am getting a little bit confused with this.

TIVO requires a monthly subscription and to be hooked up to a phoneline..Correct? TIVO is cheaper is the short run but could cost more in the long run with the monthly subscription.

I've looked at Sony DVR's and it seems they don't require a subscription but they are a hell of a lot more. But they would be cheaper in the long run.

This is just information I've gathered from Bestbuy.com and I haven't really looked anywhere else. Fill me in fellas :wtf:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Sounds like you've pretty much got the idea. Might want to check into the local cable company though. Most are offering boxes with built-in DVRs now. Hard to live without 'em once you have one.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
That info is correct but you do get some features with Tivo that you don't get with standard DVRs, including automatic firmware upgrades.

I had MS's dvr package and recently swithced to Tivo (got the HD-DVR) and like the Tivo a lot (not as much as Ultimate TV but they are going away).

I agree with Jason, if your parents are using cable, they should be able to get a cable box w/ a dvr builtin. If they are using DTV, then I would get the Tivo dvrs. If they want to switch from cable to DTV - you can get like 3 dvrs for free now.

Also, DTV has $100 mail in rebates right now for their DVRs which run $99.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Our cable provider is Time Warner and I'm trying to get something without strings attached like a TIVO or an upgrade with the cable company would be. See he's a bit *cough* cheap *cough* . Thanks for the info. guys!

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I got one about 7 or 8 months ago a DVR through our Cable Company here Cablevision. It's about $9.00 a month for it but well worth the money imho. Mine for some reason stopped showing the listing guide so I was unable to preset programs to tape. I just took it back to cablevision and walked out with a brand new with no additional charge. Granted you have to pay monthly for the service but if the system breaks you can just exchange and not have to go out and buy another one.

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have Time Warner DVR and I can't say enough good about it. If there is a problem with it just take it back and they give you a new one. I have the package deal so I think I pay less than $10 month.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I have been wanting to get DVR or Tivo...I think they better choice is with the cable company. If the equipment craps out, which I have heard is not uncommon, you can call them up and get a new one.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I have Brighthouse, which used to be Time Warner. Erich's got the price about right as I remember. But as Mark said, there are extra features with the Tivo's...as well as a choice of how much storage you get, which there isn't with the cable DVRs. I'm sure this isn't a route you'd want to go, but you can also build up a computer to do the job of a DVR as well.