What's new

Either a humidor or lighing issue???

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was doing my best to do nothing but smoke cigars this weekend...When every thing I light up tunnels, splits, or cracks.
I went through 3 decent smokes, all of which I have smoked before, with no issue. Each has been in the Humidor for at least 4 weeks at about 68% humidity.
Also, I am using a Colibri tourch, I do my best to not hit the flame to the foot, but, I am smokeing outside- itdoes get some flame.
Any Ideas???

Gummi Bear

Righteously Indignant
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How old is the humi (how long have you had it)?

What hygrometer (humidity gauge)?

How long have you had the cigars?

IMO, that's an indication that they're a little wet. I keep my humi at 65% with RH beads. It also stays in a cabinet, so no direct sunlight ever hits it.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
One, are you certain the RH is 68%? If not, get a boveda pack and do a hygro test.

Second, was it windy outside? If it was windy that can certainly have an effect on how the stick burns.

Third, are you puffing every minute? The way you draw and how often you draw can have a big effect on the stick. Try for medium long draws with firm but not hard pulls about every minute.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
good advice there. i had the same problem last week. id step outside to have a stick and it was so fricking windy i had to lite the cigar inside and then go out on the deck and all i had was burn problems.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the humi (how long have you had it)?

What hygrometer (humidity gauge)?

How long have you had the cigars?

IMO, that's an indication that they're a little wet. I keep my humi at 65% with RH beads. It also stays in a cabinet, so no direct sunlight ever hits it.
I have had the box about 6 years, it is a Diamond Crown. No sun or breeze to speak of.
The hygrometer is a digital (I have tested against an analog/dial hygro).

The oldest cigar is about 3 months, the newest is about 4 weeks.

So, I guess I could test the hygro and drop the humidity and see what happens.
thenks for the tip!!!

Gummi Bear

Righteously Indignant
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Not sure what your plan is to drop the humidity, but don't do it too fast, or you may have the wrappers split on a few (I made that mistake a couple of times)

Do a salt test on your hygrometer, or you could use one of the packets mentioned above.

*unsolicited advice*

Some cigars need to sit for several weeks and even months to settle down before you smoke them. I had some cigars a couple years back that tasted like crap when I got them and they didn't burn good, I wouldn't even give them away. 6 months pass, I had forgotten they were in there, and on a whim, I lit one up; it turned out to be pretty decent. It's amazing just how quickly some cigars can make it from the factory to your B&M shelf sometimes.

Try to buy cigars that you'll sit on for a while. Buy a cigar today that you might like around the Holidays. Getting that initial stock is the hard part, and there are times that I still struggle with keeping some of my sticks in inventory. I started with just 1 or 2 here and there, and it's grown to a small by some standards, but respectable stash.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Not sure what your plan is to drop the humidity, but don't do it too fast, or you may have the wrappers split on a few (I made that mistake a couple of times)

Do a salt test on your hygrometer, or you could use one of the packets mentioned above.

*unsolicited advice*

Some cigars need to sit for several weeks and even months to settle down before you smoke them. I had some cigars a couple years back that tasted like crap when I got them and they didn't burn good, I wouldn't even give them away. 6 months pass, I had forgotten they were in there, and on a whim, I lit one up; it turned out to be pretty decent. It's amazing just how quickly some cigars can make it from the factory to your B&M shelf sometimes.

Try to buy cigars that you'll sit on for a while. Buy a cigar today that you might like around the Holidays. Getting that initial stock is the hard part, and there are times that I still struggle with keeping some of my sticks in inventory. I started with just 1 or 2 here and there, and it's grown to a small by some standards, but respectable stash.
Great advice Gummi. If there was wind, I would blame it in that. I have had all those issues just because of wind. I have also had cracking, but not tunelling, problems because of humidity.

I would also agree with Gummi on his suggestion to let them sit for awhile. It'll make any cigar better, but some need it realy bad. I have some Excaliburs that I got from Cbid that were splitting every time I lit them. I set them down for about 6 months and plan to sit them for at least another 6. I can already see the wrapper loosening up, though.

As far as smoking too fast, that usually causes torpedoing, not tunelling. Tunnelling, when I"ve seen it, is always because of wind, or smoking too slow, though I'm sure there might be a humidity issue that could cause that.

With all you've said, I would check the hygro like everyone said, but also look at the way you were smoking the cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you mention it, one of the problems was a torpedoing. I will also try to slow down a bit.
Thank you all for the good advice I will give each tip a shot and let you know what happens.
Max-

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, taking the advice fo the Brothers was a good idea, I tried the slow light (about 30 seconds, trying not to torch the thing) and also spending a little time reflecting after each pull.
Both smokes were good to the nub...
Thanks again for all you advice,
Max