What's new

Embargo Poll

In general terms, do you think lifting the embargo would adversely affect the Cuban cigar mar

• Yes

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
So, lots of opinions out there on how lifting of the Cuban Embargo would affect Cuban Cigars.

The question is, in very general terms, do you think lifting the embargo would adversely affect the Cuban cigar market?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no because I think opening up to a discriminating American market will force them to up their game (my opinion of course). That can only be good - even if it takes 5-10 years.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In very general terms, yes. I like it how it is currently. The casual smoker is unaware of the current situation and that's fine by me. Lift the embargo, and everyone and their dog are going to be getting in on the 'fad'. This will raise demand and lower quality imo.
It might at 1st, but I think after the initial "fad" of "smoking a cuban" wears off it will go back to what it is.
And I haven't had very many CC's but the the flavor profile seems so different from NC's that a lot may not appreciate them.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
In very general terms, yes. I like it how it is currently. The casual smoker is unaware of the current situation and that's fine by me. Lift the embargo, and everyone and their dog are going to be getting in on the 'fad'. This will raise demand and lower quality imo.
Yep, a very sharp increase in demand is just going drive prices up in the very short term and push quality down in the medium term. Perhaps as @SeaGarr mentioned it may bring about an increase in QC in the long term but I reckon that'll take a very very long time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is their CC QC now?
That's why I replied as I did - short of the very expensive blends, I don't find the QC very good at all. A discerning American market might help that. That said - I only smoke Cubans when I go up to Canada... and who knows if I am getting hosed or not lol.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm with the group that thinks that initially things will get bad, higher prices, more posers. But after the dust settles things will return to normal. No idea how long that will take though. Lets face it, American involvement rarely makes thing better right away, sometimes never. At any rate I don't think an initial price spike can be denied, as has been said, supply and demand. I'm hoping in the end Cuban pride will win the day and that the cigars quality will not suffer. I love those things, and Padrons....

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's why I replied as I did - short of the very expensive blends, I don't find the QC very good at all. A discerning American market might help that. That said - I only smoke Cubans when I go up to Canada... and who knows if I am getting hosed or not lol.
135% duty plus store markup, fire hose.
I would like to see the embargo end, after a few rough years i think the market will find an equilibrium and i will be ordering less expensive cubans from the states. Also just think of all the interesting blends that would also hit the market.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hopefully NC prices will go down. Flood of a another country in the U.S. market. You would think eventually it will drive the entire market down, as they will eventually all compete once the mystique wears off...

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
That is a good read, I would never have predicted the percentage of "Acceptables" to be that high. Certainly hasn't been for me although my expectations could have been raised from the insane prices we have to pay here. But the proof is in the pudding I suppose, nearly 900 sticks and only 24 with any issue is very good.
I believe by the end of the year it was close to 6k sticks surveyed and both CC and NC were close in less than 0.5% of all sticks had any issue.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It would be interesting to know the numbers on how many current CC smokers would stop buying in such a period and how much it would off set the influx of new Habanos smokers.
If things really took a turn for the worse they'd be losing smokers across the world not just failing to impress the new American consumer. Seeing as how the majority of the world smokes Habanos they'd have a lot to lose.