Ending my relationship with Gurkha

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by GaryPoe, Sep 24, 2018.

1. GaryPoe

GaryPoe

Note. 1st post posted in "Todays Smoke" thread. 9-23-18 6:32pm, pasted here.:
    Gurkha "Status" 20180923_172044.jpg Not terrible, possibly a fine lawn and garden stick if you could purchase them for $.99 each. The burn was sharp, construction was suprisingly perfect, smoke output was good, taste was young flavorless bittery tobbacco, very simplex on all 3rds. Being in the humi for a year+ I was and wasnt expecting more. Glad its gone. #neveragain.

Lok17 and Alwayslit like this.
  2. GaryPoe

GaryPoe

Gurkha "125 Anniversary Edition"
    Pre light inspection, the cigar feels light in hand, interesting pale wrapper with a small pin hole at foot due to a stem poking out and a soft spot right in the middle of the band. Very slight woody or earthy tobbaco smell from the foot and almost nothing on pre light draw. 1st quarter give way to leather and earth entirely, at the 2nd i got one draw with a scotch note for a breif second then back to leather, and earth. Great smoke output, burn was razor sharp until the ash fell at mid stick almost 3"! Final 3rd had to touch up the burn, leather, nutty, earthy somewhat creamy. The leather still being dominant. Nuttiness and a hint of cedar is picking up especially on the retro hale. 1.25" to go, burn got wonky again so i ended. Not bad but ive had so many better sticks. Also burn seemed really fast, i will start timing from now on. I dont think it took 45 minutes to smoke.
    #neveragain 20180924_183142.jpg

Lok17 and Alwayslit like this.
  3. DanceOnTheBlackTop

DanceOnTheBlackTop Get to da choppa

That's too bad and very upsetting. You was Gurkha's last customer.
    I've never had a "good Gurkha". Last time I bought a couple it was at a local B&M. The guy selling them to me said "are you sure you want to buy them". I thought in my head "oh boy". They all taste like I raked up leaves in the backyard and smoked them.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Cigary43, Lok17, Bondo 440 and 3 others like this.
  4. Tyler86

Tyler86

I hear tale there are a few of them out there that are good... I smoked 2 evil (worth smoking if free and absolutely nothing else)..... tossed 2 ninja 1/2 way through
    I think I may have bombed @GoBison with one as a joke... may be why he won't talk to me anymore ;)
    #neveragain

Stupid Tapatalk

5. Hoshneer

Hoshneer Blumpkin King

Media:
    Albums:
    I still like the Ghost but that's about it.

GaryPoe and MikeZ37 like this.
  6. icehog3

icehog3 Outlaw Hockey Biker donor5

I have one in the humidor, in a glass tube sealed in wax.

My Dad decided a few years back to get me a cigar for my birthday (he's not a cigar guy, got him to smoke a Cuban once probably 15 years ago). So he walks into a B&M and asks the owner for the most expensive cigar in the store....

Despite what PT Barnum might say about it, I'll cherish it forever. And smoke it never.

Cigary43, Lok17, mitetak and 18 others like this.
  7. Mossome

Mossome donor5

I’ve always swiped left when Gurkha came up.

Lok17, bwhite220 and GaryPoe like this.
  8. kit_luce

kit_luce To the ones we can save, and those we can't. donor1

My local B&M guy was telling me part of the problem with Gurkha is that they dont own their own factory and as such the get huge inconsistencies in production as they change their leased factory every couple of years. Haven't had one, wont buy one, I would smoke a free one though, just the same as I wont buy bud light but if it's free, it's free lol

GaryPoe likes this.
  9. Opforty

Opforty B&M Bomber

@StogieFisher is the gurkie expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. akpreacherplayz

akpreacherplayz The Preacher

Been Savin up all my Gurkhas just for him!

Sent from Area 51 using telepathy

11. multi-useless

multi-useless donor5

I smoked plenty of Gurkhas when I was a total cigar noob, and enjoyed some of them. Then I developed a palate.

12. Alwayslit

Alwayslit

Gurkha is about on par with glass top cohibas. You are a brave man to smoke those two cigars.

13. Unpossible_1

Unpossible_1 donor2

I think the only two I would smoke again, if someone gave them to me for free, was the Ghost and the Red Witch. I can get better cigars from a gas station for the rest of the lot.

Bondo 440, irratebass and GaryPoe like this.
  14. icehog3

icehog3 Outlaw Hockey Biker donor5

I won't smoke a free Gurkha, and I won't drink Bud Light on a dare.

THEMISCHMAN, Cigary43, Lok17 and 12 others like this.
  15. Old Smokey

Old Smokey

16. squaresoft

squaresoft It's dangerous to go alone, take this.

Media:
    Albums:
    CVAC085 and GaryPoe like this.
  17. GaryPoe

GaryPoe

I passed on the smoke for today to give a fair trial, I had pizza and choked on a jalapeno for supper. I think the next two will be the Beauty and then the Beast.

18. GaryPoe

GaryPoe

Ok. So here we go with the Gurkha "Beauty". Inspection: good construction, some blemishes on head end, normal tobacco smell on wrapper and foot very light. Snip and draw was almost no taste at all, like an unlit cigarette. On the light 5:58pm cst. Harsh burning cigarette tobacco that went away quickly while developing. Developed into the first third: Creamy almost no distinctive flavor, i think the light was so bad it killed the acual flavor. Developed into just a creamy oily texture with a quick finish but really no taste of anything distinctive. Great smoke output. Perfect burn so far. Flavors have come to be creamy and nutty, buttery grits with a pinch of salt that ends quickly leaving only burnt tobacco. Retro is revealing an oat note but not much. Final 3rd has revealed construction issues, wrapper is coming apart, and blemishes are starting to crack. Still great smoke output and flavor has been consistant from start of second third. Retro still a nutty toasty oat. 2 1/2" to go i had to touch up a burn issue being perfect so far, sweetness is decending some the buttery grits has turned to a toasted oat. More construction issues followed to its demise before turning to leather and purfume note. End was right at 7:35pm cst. Note: paired with a Shiner Bock, I think the cigar had major influence with the beer. End note, It was quite plesant and would like to try again actually with a different drink perhaps. Oh wait... 20180926_180802.jpg 20180926_190656.jpg 20180926_192202.jpg Retail is $20.00 per stick! NO THANKS.
    #neveragain

19. Bondo 440

Bondo 440

+1 for the Red Witch, box press robusto, Yeah.

GaryPoe likes this.
  20. mjones9630

mjones9630 Who?

I tried one of these again based on @StogieFisher recommendations (I know, I know).. they really aren't bad. Just a smooth, easy going stick for fishing or whatever.. but you can't look at retail with the Gurks, they're all over the place.. a 5er of beauty can be had for less than $20. Sometimes around $2/ea.

But, there's still much better sticks out there in the $2 range, so...