What's new

engine question

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
A question for those of you that are good with engines.
My wifes 2005 xterra has had some issues lately. The positive battery connection has been loose for a while I had been putting off replacing it. Today after she had an issue with it dying on her an hour away while I was at work I decided it was time.
After she jiggled the cable it started up again and had a bunch of dummy lights come on including the check engine. I took it to autozone to run the code which was for a camshaft sensor. We replaced the positive connection point and left it at that for now.
But my issue is that it takes a lot to turn over now. It did not have that issue before we changed that.
And the check engine light never came on until the truck died on her this morning.
any ideas?

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have a 2010 X. Maybe try replacing the battery terminal or get the battery checked. Terminal may need to be cleaned too. When my battery died last year the terminal was severely corroded.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I have a 2010 X. Maybe try replacing the battery terminal or get the battery checked. Terminal may need to be cleaned too. When my battery died last year the terminal was severely corroded.
The battery is only a couple months old. There was a lot of corrosion but we just replaced the terminal yesterday and started having the issue.
Today it started just fine but the engine light is on again.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Thank you guys. The engine runs like a champ and has no misses to it and does not act up. The only issue resulted from it dying. Once the battery cable was wiggled it started up fine and ran fine.
It seems to be starting just fine now but the engine light is still on.
The slip the guy at autozone printed for me listed the most probable causes as being with the battery or connection. But of course kept telling me I needed to buy a 90 dollar cam sensor even after I told him money was very tight right now. I hate that mentality in sales any more.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
My guess is that you fixed your problem by replacing the positive terminal. The reason that it was hard to turn over at first was because your battery was run down. Now that it's charged up it's turning over good again. I'm not sure if Auto Zone is able to clear the check engine code or not when they give you the scan but you think they would have done that. If I'm not mistaken it should go away on its own in a couple of weeks if everything is running good now ( not 100% sure on that though)

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
My guess is that you fixed your problem by replacing the positive terminal. The reason that it was hard to turn over at first was because your battery was run down. Now that it's charged up it's turning over good again. I'm not sure if Auto Zone is able to clear the check engine code or not when they give you the scan but you think they would have done that. If I'm not mistaken it should go away on its own in a couple of weeks if everything is running good now ( not 100% sure on that though)
this is my thoughts as well. Autozone said they can not clear the codes. I asked when we were there.
Thanks everyone for the help. I hope this fixed the problem.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
try resetting the ECU. I know you can do it on an X without disconnecting the battery. Forgot where I saw the sequence. I think it was on thenewx or clubxterra

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Tried it a few times and can not get the timing right. Oh well. I will give it a few days and see if it resets itself.
Thanks for the help though.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
With all of the electronics on automobiles nowa days they get really really sscrewy if there is a voltage drop. 99% chance the code threw because of the terminal. If you replaced the terminal you can just drive it for a while and it will self clear or you can disconnect the battery for a 10-45ish min and it should reset it. I think your going to be fine here

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Try that reset trick. It worked on my truck. You might be counting too fast. Took me two tries and the second attempt I slowed down my counting.