What's new

Espresso machine help?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Yo java experts... just throwing out a random question to see if there is anything obvious I should be doing? I have/use a Saeco Espresso Classico espresso machine and have had it for 10 years without problem. My wife and I would basically use it on a daily basis up until the last few months where we have been doing more standard coffee. But the last few times I've made espresso, the espresso itself just seems really off. http://www.amazon.com/Saeco-Classico-Stainless-Espresso-Cappuccino/dp/B00005LVWP/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top (my in-laws have had this machine for years with good luck)

The first thing I noticed is that when it pours, there is no crema on top. This is something that just started happening and there has always been a good crema on the top. I have not changed espresso, water etc. The taste also seems off but I can't place my finger on exactly what it is.

Just a few weeks ago, I did notice that the espresso was not pouring out as usual and I was thinking something might be wrong with the machine. Liquid was only coming out of one nozel (instead of two) and it made a weird sound. But that only last a few pours and is now coming out just fine. But the espresso coming out is almost watered down a bit, maybe not hot enough. I'm wondering if something went wrong with the heater/pump?

I just went through descaling yesterday and got the same bad results today. However I embarrassingly admit that I have rarely descaled the machine and I wonder if that has caused damage to the machine over time of extensive use. I don't know enough about the machines etc, but I do know the espresso is not coming out like it should. Thoughts?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
when you say, "descale", are you talking about cleaning the group that holds the grounds and attatches to the body of the machine, or the entire water line?

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Don't have an espresso machine Ryan but I do have a zojirushi water boiler. I have to descale it and clean it about every 3 months. It gets ALOT of use. It basically stops pouring, so that's when I know it's time to descale and afterwards it pours perfectly. I think the descaler is nothing more than citric acid. I've used vinegar in the past with good results but the citric acid is top notch. I assume this does not solve your problem ;)

Rating - 100%
65   0   0

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
when you say, "descale", are you talking about cleaning the group that holds the grounds and attatches to the body of the machine, or the entire water line?
I'm talking about the water line. Pouring the citric acid mixture (Dezcal) into the water tank, pouring through the water line etc. If I caused too much wear and tear on my machine because I didn't descale it enough, that's what I get I guess... :(

And regarding the crema, I don't need it to look like a nice shot of espresso, but it's definitely an easy indicator that the coffee is not coming out like it should and has in the past. It doesn't taste like a nice creamy shot of espresso...

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
it should be obvious but any cleaning solution needs to be flushed fully from the system. but i gotta say...

also, hit the group with some of that. hell, i have used CLR in a pinch (and flushed it SUPER good after, of course!). the group, as the physical aperature of the coffee extraction itself, would likely throttle out the crema, then make the pour itself off, if hard water or oil build up caused it to become occluded.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I clean/descale mine with white vinegar about a 50/50 mix w/ water. First a run a full tank of clean water, then the 50/50 solution and let it sit with it in the lines for a couple hours. Then finish the tank. Then run 1-2 more clean tanks of water through it. That fixes my issues when they arise. Might be worth a shot.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
it should be obvious but any cleaning solution needs to be flushed fully from the system. but i gotta say...

also, hit the group with some of that. hell, i have used CLR in a pinch (and flushed it SUPER good after, of course!). the group, as the physical aperature of the coffee extraction itself, would likely throttle out the crema, then make the pour itself off, if hard water or oil build up caused it to become occluded.
I hear ya talking, but it's like i'm a cigar noob on BOTL for the first time thinking wtf he just say??? LOL

What do you mean "the group?" You mean the hand held filter holder where the coffee grinds sit? Are you saying to tighten the hand held filter holder onto the machine like I would be pouring espresso and then have the citric acid water flush through it? Or what?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
the group IS the piece that gets filled with ground, then at attaches to the machine, yes.

and, to clean it, you could either flush solution through the machine and out the group, OR submerge the group entirely in solution for a while, wines in the sink, then rinse water through the machine and out the group, without any grounds.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Group and portafilter are synonymous correct? When mine started doing what you are describing g it turned out to be a bad 3-way valve.