What's new

Evil Black Rifles

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Any of you guys AR fans?

I'm in the process of building mine, and figured there might be some of you who share similar interests.

So far I've got:
PSA stripped lower (might change to a billet lower... haven't decided yet)
FDE IMOD
PSA LPK
Magpul MOE grip and trigger guard (FDE)

DD 14.5" midlength gov't profile upper
Troy 13" TRX-Extreme
BCM BCG
BCM Gunfighter Mod 4
Battlecomp 1.5 (or perhaps an AAC mount)

Going to add eventually:
Vltor A5 kit
BADASS selector
Daniel Defense or Troy irons

Way further down the line:
Aimpoint H1 or T1
Suppressor
SBR it to 12.5 - 10.5... depending on what I think is the best choice by that point

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Its acutally a huge hobby for me. I have built countless rifles for friends. It really helps to have all of the correct tools. Especially if you are putting on the barrel. Its downright dangerous without a torque wrench and a head spacing gauge.

Here is a picture of my current project. I will have the upper finished hopefully by mid week
This one will have

Spikes lower
Spikes LPK enhanced
SP Battle trigger (failzero coated)
KAC Trigger Gaurd
Tango Down grip
Magpul UBR
Spikes H2 Buffer
Bad lever

Upper will be
Vltor MUR1 /w forward assist
Fail Zero BCG (love the things, well worth the money)
DD cold forged barrel
KAC RIS rails
KAC Micro 600 RSA
Battle Comp 2.0
PRI Gas block/FSP
BCM Gunfighter Large
Magpul RVG FDE
Magpul XTM (black and FDE)
Aimpoint PRO

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I don't know why but I hate ARs. Them and 1911s are the Jeep Wranglers of the gun world. Every company makes parts due to popularity, and the part availability increases the popularity because of the ability to customize. I used GUU/GAU-5s in the USAF and unless they were babied and cleaned after every shooting session they would jam. Sure there are piston driven models now that are more reliable, but I still don't like em!

This is just my opinion of course. When I have the money to do so I will be buying a Steyr Aug. They have modular barrels, they are ambidextrous with a bolt changout (not a new receiver), and are compact as hell with a full 16" barrel. Sure you can't add ninja gizmos, and they're not a US military platform, but I think they rock!

So make my evil black rifle a bullpup baby! I actually have a full size full auto bb rifle of an AUG.

ThankfulJoe

Rather Be Flying
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I've spent quite a few years with AR-15s shooting Service Rifle and High Powered matches with the NRA, and with the right load it's hard to beat the accuracy and lack of recoil. The ability to keep a relatively light weight (80 grain) round to around 2 MOA accuracy at 600 yards still boggles my mind. Most of my guns are pre-built uppers/lowers with just a few modifications (Jewel trigger, custom irons, etc) as they have to remain the outward appearance of a stock AR-15. Bang for your buck they're hard to beat. That looks like a pretty solid build to me. I've never personally been a huge fan of the aimpoints, but sights are usually personal preference. The most important thing is that you're going to be happy with it. I'm familiar with the process of putting together an upper but like previously stated, I'd be wary about doing your own barrel work. Even with the proper tools there is a fine art to it. I usually just let my gunsmith/armorer do it for me. Good luck and let us know how it shoots!

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
This definitely is not the first rifle I have done. As long as the head spacing meets SAAMI specs (1.465-1.47) you will be fine. Plus i feel much more accomplished knowing I built it from scratch.... Not that building an AR is a special hard to do art

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
If I had the tools, I would love to build from scratch. I'm building my lower from scratch, but I'll probably just order the upper assembled.

Mick, we should go shooting sometime. Though it'd be a lot more fun if I was allowed to have my hardware with me at school.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
If I had the tools, I would love to build from scratch. I'm building my lower from scratch, but I'll probably just order the upper assembled.

Mick, we should go shooting sometime. Though it'd be a lot more fun if I was allowed to have my hardware with me at school.
Absolutely we should! i could let you use my tools someday as well. although with you not being allowed to have your firearms at school, that will be a bit tough

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Absolutely we should! i could let you use my tools someday as well. although with you not being allowed to have your firearms at school, that will be a bit tough
Definitely. It's stupid as all hell. I live OFF campus. But, after I moved in (so NOT on the lease) I received a list of "building rules" and No Weapons was one of them. :angerhead

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
rules are meant to be broken...especially when your self defense is on the line. lol jk i would never advise you to break a contractual agreement over something as silly as protecting yourself. :hysterica

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
LOL I was actually going to. Breaking the agreement wasn't my main concern. It was that my apartment is so small that I literally have no place to hide one. If somebody broke into my apartment, it would be gone. And being on the bottom floor, my apartment is the most likely one to get broken into.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I'd much rather have a gun get stolen when i'm not there, than be gun-less if my place was broken into while i am there.
It would be pretty easy to throw a blanket over one of these when you leave your place. not necessarily that brand, but that type of thing
just my $.02

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Very true. It's a hard decision. I'm gonna talk it over with my shooting buddy (my dad) when I'm home for break. It would help if I owned a beater gun or two. But just about all of them cost me a significant amount of hard earned money. Not to mention some have a large amount of custom work done that would be really difficult to replace.

Anyways... ordered my BCM BCG and Gunfighter today. Another step closer!
Also have to decide which lower I want to go with really soon.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
The way I always look at it. The only reason there are more than one lower receiver out on the market is for the logo on the side.

that being said, in the last couple of years companies have started to add things like flared mag wells, one piece trigger guards, captured springs and like you said earlier billet. I tend to shy people away from billet because it does weigh more than a standard lower, and personally I have yet to see a lower receiver break from normal wear and tear.

If you are going to do some high end competition stuff, billet might be a viable option for you. Since the material is thicker and heavier, it also provides the rifle with a tighter fit, so less wobbling between the upper and lower. Not enough for every day shooters to ever notice though.

I'm partial to Noveske and Spikes lowers. I found that they have the best finish on the receivers. This makes installation a breeze! Especially when it comes to the bolt catch roll pin!

Again, all of this info is just personal preference or what I have gathered over my years working with them. Take it with a grain of salt

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
That's the main reason I was looking at the billet lowers: the flared magwells and the integral trigger guards. It kinda bothers me that billet weighs more and is weaker than forged frames. So it's up in the air now. I've got a couple days to decide, so it's no rush.

I'm seriously considering a Noveske forged lower. I figure the finish is worth the extra money, and should I ever sell it - the name seems to make it hold its value better than ones like PSA.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Here is the rifle I built last year. I have a S&W M&P15 that I bought off the shelf back in '07. I like this custom built one better obviously:

It is a custom lower that AR15.com did a year or so ago.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I'm extremely jealous. The ARF lower is second on my dream list, behind the China Doll lowers. If they weren't so darn expensive, I'd get one now.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I'm extremely jealous. The ARF lower is second on my dream list, behind the China Doll lowers. If they weren't so darn expensive, I'd get one now.
Since I am a life member, we got first dibs on the lowers and were able to request serial numbers. We knew about the lowers for about a year before the general public knew. I have number #069 :riflefire

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am getting ready to start my AR project now. Haven't really decided or committed to any lowers or uppers yet. I like the lazer etched Zombie Hunter stuff I have seen around. A couple really nice Zombie lowers out there too.