What's new

Fake R&J Mille Fleurs

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a bunch of Habanos from my buddy who was in Havana, including 25 x R&J Mille Fleurs (Dec15), 10 x Upmann Connie 1s (Feb14)and 10 x Monte 4s (Jul16). The Upmann & Montes checked out fine, but the R&J cab serial number doesn't verify on the Habanos website. I could tell something was wrong as soon as I saw them. There is a big variation between the colour of wrappers and construction (which is generally 5/10 or less), some have small cracks at the foot & in some instances a patch of the wrapper has peeled off. Nothing catastrophic and the one I smoked wasn't bad, though it did seem stronger & more full bodied than other R&Js I have tried. I hope they age well, even if they ain't genuine Habanos. But, at 75 GBP, I think I got ripped off.
DSC_0354.JPG DSC_0360.JPG DSC_0358.JPG DSC_0355.JPG

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Connie no.1s & Monte 4s look fantastic. Uniform & practically flawless. Gonna leave those in the 'dore for a few months before I try them. The Connie no.1s are already aged a few years in Cuba, they should be fantastic after a few months in my 'dore.
DSC_0361.JPG DSC_0363.JPG

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Wow, why would anybody fake those? Could it be another case of Cuba being Cuba with the serial number code? Although, I agree, something looks off with them. Usually a great value stick.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Serious question: is it common for cigars without cello to roll around so there labels aren't facing in a uniform fashion? Or are they not caring when putting them in the box?

Love, LoRoK.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Connie 1s have a verified serial number on the seal & they look a damn sight better than the Mille Fleurs. The Connie 1s cab is well produced too, buffed up varnish on the outside & carved lettering/logo etc.

Also, about half of those Mille Fleurs look much better than the ones in the pictures, which were the worst by far. I smoked one of the dodgy ones and it was still nice. Good typically Cuban flavours and even, uneventful burn. But, ultimately not worth what I paid for em. My buddy got em on holiday in Havana. I think I'll do my own shopping next time!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
the Connie's is 000033493345
"Descripcion: H.UPMANN CONNOISSEUR No.1 SLB-UW-GPSR-M-n-25"
The ending there means that the code is fro a Slide Lid Box, and the 25 indicates a 25ct box, which is all that cigar comes in. The code does not come from a 10ct box, which as far as I know has never been made. Sorry man.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Serious question: is it common for cigars without cello to roll around so there labels aren't facing in a uniform fashion? Or are they not caring when putting them in the box?

Love, LoRoK.
So I am totally serious about this. I didn't want to say they are fake based on that, but it seems to me like I never see labels like that on the pics from guys who know the real deal. Not saying the OP doesn't, just saying that looks sketchy.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH, I had probably fondled and inspected each one of those sticks before taking these pics so I can't confirm exact presentation or positioning of the labels. They may have moved/slipped, though in my experience those labels stay where pretty much they are unless moved by hand. A lot of the time they are stuck in place with a tiny bit of rolling gum/spit/whatever! The 10s have a little space to move in the cab, the box of 25s were packed tight.

Like I said tho, the Connies & Monte 4s look great and nothing in their initial presentation prompted any doubt. The MFs, on the other hand looked questionable immediately on opening the box, and I ain't no expert.

I concede @StogieNinja likely knows his stuff, so I'll ask my buddy exactly where he got em. I'm almost certain he got em in an LCDH, even took photos of the place!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
So I am totally serious about this. I didn't want to say they are fake based on that, but it seems to me like I never see labels like that on the pics from guys who know the real deal. Not saying the OP doesn't, just saying that looks sketchy.
I assumed OP was probably was pulling them out. But generally no, there's no room for sticks to move around in dress boxes, there's not really quite enough room for the sticks, which is why they end up box pressed.

@Doomike, I'll be interested to hear where your buddy got them. If it was an LCDH, that's super sketch!

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
It's a scary proposition that people are now willing to go through all the trouble to fake four and eight dollar cigars.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
It's a scary proposition that people are now willing to go through all the trouble to fake four and eight dollar cigars.
I assume they just took real bands and put them on fake cigars in recycled boxes. Although where they got the Connie box... who knows...

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I assume they just took real bands and put them on fake cigars in recycled boxes. Although where they got the Connie box... who knows...
Exactly. Cohibas are faked so often because the profit margin is so great. To fake those Connies someone had to manufacture a passable box, collect 10 usable bands and somehow remove an actual warranty sticker. All for $80.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0386.JPG DSC_0382.JPG DSC_0381.JPG DSC_0385.JPG DSC_0384.JPG The box is really well made. Check the detail on the photos I just took. There is precise & detailed carving on the front of the lid (tho not on the side), as well as a small gold coloured clasp on the lid which fixes to a socket on the box, the led opens like a book on hinges attatch at the back. Nice varnished box.