What's new

Famous Nicaraguan 3000 Review and Bonus Opinion on cheaper cigars versus more expensive ones

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my take on The Famous Nicaraguan 3000 Selection in Torpedo and i'll follow up with my thoughts on cheaper versus more premium cigars.
cigar pics 001.jpgcigar pics 004.jpg cigar pics 007.jpg cigar pics 008.jpg cigar pics 010.jpg cigar pics 011.jpg cigar pics 014.jpg

First I'll start with the Famous Nic3000. This is a beautiful 5 1/2 x 54 Belicoso/Torpedo that is perfectly constructed and looks like a much more expensive cigar. Smoke time has been consistently 1 hour and 10 minutes. The smoke has been quite dry while the flavor and strength are very mellow/moderate (This cigar is very smooth and consistent). This is described as a full body cigar but from my experience this is more of a medium at best. The strength has also been consistently on the lower end of medium. I'm not going to try and describe every little flavor that i pick up but i'm going to stick to a very general description of the overall flavor, strength, and the quality of the construction.

I have to repeat that the construction really is amazing with an absolutely perfect draw on all 4 cigars that i've smoked so far. The burn behaves and you don't have to touch it up very often unless you are a stickler for an absolutely perfect burn line. The Vitola, construction and looks of this cigar are pretty much the best aspect of this cigar. This cigar is middle of the road in terms of flavor and strength and reminds me of the Trinidad Paradox, Trinidad Reserve Habano, and Oliva Series O in terms of flavor, strength and complexity. Its the best constructed bundled cigar that i've smoked so far and great value for money.

The flavor is very woody with a mild earth and very minor spice. The Famous Nic3000 is a smooth cigar that has a very basic flavor profile with just enough strength to keep it interesting. This is the type of cigar that you can provide to a large group of friends without going broke while also not feeling like a cheap bastard. Its a really beautiful cigar that's not going to overpower occasional/new smokers and has enough going on that it won't completely bore more experienced smokers. Its not going to wow more experienced smokers but its a solid and enjoyable cigar nonetheless.

Personally i've enjoyed these cigars but they didn't wow me with their flavor profile. The Famous Nic3000 is a great value cigar that i enjoy smoking because its affordable and gives me zero issues while the flavor and strength are decent. I've heard more experienced smokers state, "life's too short to smoke cheap cigars" and "to smoke less but better." I always thought that was a snobbish thing to say but the more i smoke the more i've come to agree with that sentiment.

My favorites cigars to smoke are The Aging Room F55 Quattro (Church hill/Toro), La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor (belicoso), Alec Bradley Black Market (Robusto/Perfecto) and the Jericho hill (Toro). All these cigars have a great flavor that i enjoy will having outstanding construction (AB black market is the only one with construction that occasionally sucks).
cigar pics 017.jpg cigar pics 018.jpg

I've bought lots of "affordable" cigars from Famous but unfortunately they just don't measure up very well to the cigars that i enjoy. I've stupidly bought some cheapo's from Thompson that are going to take years to clear out and i have plenty of J fuego cigars (Originals, Vudu, etc) that i bought from famous that hit the spot but don't wow me (decent but not great).
cigar pics 019.jpg

My advice to new cigar smokers is to stick to Thompson's 5 pack fever where you can stock up on cigars from Aging Room, Alec Bradley, Acid, etc that will only set you back $3-4 dollars a pop. The unfortunate fact is that you have to be willing to spend ~$125-150 dollars per order to lower the cost to slightly below $4 dollars per cigar. I hate to break it to people but there is no $1-2 dollar cigar that will wow you.

Here's a link to the Thompson discount codes.
https://www.retailmenot.com/view/thompsoncigar.com

Last edited:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Never been a big Thompson fan. The life time bombardment of catalogs, fairly over priced and lots of junk cigars. I like Famous for a number of reasons 1) They are a BOTL sponsor and a good one 2) they give a BOTL discount which makes their good prices even more favorable and the have a wide variety of quality sticks. I found the Famous Nic to be fairly harsh but smokable. I like their Inferno line much better

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been a big Thompson fan. The life time bombardment of catalogs, fairly over priced and lots of junk cigars. I like Famous for a number of reasons 1) They are a BOTL sponsor and a good one 2) they give a BOTL discount which makes their good prices even more favorable and the have a wide variety of quality sticks. I found the Famous Nic to be fairly harsh but smokable. I like their Inferno line much better
I've never tried the Inferno since $60+ dollars is too much for a house blend. Oliva is not my favorite cigar maker because while they're decent and affordable they are tend to be a little on the dry side. When it comes to Oliva, the CT reserve, O and Master blends are the only cigars that i smoke on a consistent basis since the're like burger king with mail coupons (i.e. decent, filling, and affordable).

The famous Nic3000 taste like an oliva cigar and the box pressed Belicoso is my favorite vitola. The Famous nic3000 will never be in my favorites (flavor just isn't there) but its such a beautiful and well constructed cigar that its amazing that it only costed me ~$2.

Thompson has the same item at different price points and you really have to do you homework before ordering. However their 5 pack fever is the best deal around and the cigar options are impressive. If you like Acids, Alec Bradley, Rocky Patel, Aging Room, Oliva, etc its difficult to beat Thompson's pricing and quality of selection.

Here's an example of Thompson wonderful multiple pricing for the same producto_O (you have to google image a Thompson product to find the alternative price points).
Oliva 10 Cigar Sampler Robusto:
$29.99
https://www.thompsoncigar.com/product/OLIVA-10-CIGAR-SAMPLER-ROBUSTO/92245.uts?cm_vc=10662
$39.99
https://www.thompsoncigar.com/product/OLIVA-10-CIGAR-ROBUSTO-SAMPLER/92163.uts
$39.99 plus a xikar lighter
https://www.thompsoncigar.com/product/OLIVA-10-CIGAR-SAMPLER-ROBUSTO-PLUS-LIGHTER/92335.uts

Trinidad Paradox Robusto 16 count box
$39.99
https://www.thompsoncigar.com/product/TRINIDAD-PARADOX-ROBUSTO-CRIOLLO/93698.uts
$49.99
https://www.thompsoncigar.com/product/Trinidad-Paradox-Robusto-Box-Pressed-Criollo-Robusto/87800.uts

Famous with their discount code and fair pricing are a great retailer but their packaging sucks. I live in Arizona and the bubble wrapped cigars are always dried out to some extent. They recover in time but its a hassle waiting 6+ month for cigars to lose the bitterness cause by the drying out during shipping (j fuego cigar interesting enough taste fine at lower humidity). The bundle cigars interestingly enough arrive in fair shape. The reason i continue to buy from famous is that they do gimmicks better than anyone and their pricing is always fair. The problem is that they ship cigars without a ziploc bag or cellophane overwrap to protect them and it discourages me from buying samplers or 5 packs which i prefer. I pretty much only buy bundles, Jars, and boxes from them and those are usually the house blends that are only so so. The bubble wrap basically has become a deal breaker for me. I'm not going to buy 5 packs and samplers that are shipped in shitty bubble wrap when other retailers actually use ziploc bags that protect the cigars far better.

Last edited: