What's new

Faux Pappy Recipies?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Anyone try any of the "tastes just like Pappy Van Winkle" recipies

Not having tried the liquid gold I wouldn't know what a 1500 dollar bourbon tastes like but i am eager to learn. Have you done it on the cheap and was the attempt close?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The two I have found are

Most common recipe is 50% WL Weller 12 and 50% Old Weller Antique 107
and
the closest is said to be 68% WL Weller 12, 27% Old Weller Antique 107 and 5% Limestone Spring water (Trader Joes) let rest a couple of weeks

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
The two I have found are

Most common recipe is 50% WL Weller 12 and 50% Old Weller Antique 107
and
the closest is said to be 68% WL Weller 12, 27% Old Weller Antique 107 and 5% Limestone Spring water (Trader Joes) let rest a couple of weeks
You are talking about the black labeled Weller 12 year, not the BTAC William Larue Weller that's generally 12 years aged, right? I dont think I'd sacrifice the WLW in an attempt to make pappy. It's better than pappy to me...

I've seen several variations too, but they are generally similar to the above, with the parts being W12 and OWA at varying %.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I can’t find any of these anywhere in this state.

Actually, I lied. When I did the prices were beyond secondary pricing in a local liquor store. No thanks.

But I’ve only seen the recipes of mixing Weller 12 and Weller Antique. You can try it at 50/50 or 40/60 (W12/Weller Antique) depending on your tastes.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea, instead of finding one rare bourbon I have to find two rare bourbons. I was told to check back in late Feb, early March when they become more available. I'm heading to Louisville that time of year for vacation so I'll keep my eyes open.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yea, instead of finding one rare bourbon I have to find two rare bourbons. I was told to check back in late Feb, early March when they become more available. I'm heading to Louisville that time of year for vacation so I'll keep my eyes open.
I'd say you have the best chances to find them in Louisville or at least elsewhere in the state. Might have to do a little hunting but honestly, I think it would be worth it.
And rare for me, was some years ago before it was distributed here in NY, I was on vacation in PA and was on the hunt for green label Jack Daniels. Of course, this was before joining here and diving head first into bourbons and scotches.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Thanks for clarifying not familiar enough with either of those to know. It was referred to as WL Weller 12 not sure if them meant William Larue or not. I'll try and find the original article.

http://bourbonr.com/blog/poor-mans-pappy/
I'm sure it's the black label W12. I think there are actually fewer WLW made than the pappy you are trying to duplicate.

The W12 shows up twice a year in KC. Once in spring, once in fall. I can usually pull enough strings to get 3-4 bottles each time.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Its usually available in Platte City @gurgalunas .
Ha! People flocking to Platte City searching for W12 will leave disappointed. Not much to shop here. I'll admit, I did get one here once, but it wasnt a very good, reliable source. All I get are from the northland, but involve relationships I've cultivated over the years. Very few ever make it to the shelf where they are seen...