What's new

Favorites (Brand, Store, Stick)

causeyrob

kamikaze
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey Brothers,

This is my first non-intro post! So as a recent cigar fiend (albeit long-time smoker), in the past six or so months I have very quickly emerged in the scene with 600 sticks, 12 humidors, Opus X, God of Fire, cuban Cohibas and Partagas Serie D, Ashtons, Davidoffs, Padrons, you name it. But I'm still constantly finding new cigar recommendations and stores/brands I haven't heard of, so I wanted to collect your feedback. What are your favorite sticks/brands/stores that I should be aware of? I'm an avid smoker, average about 3 sticks a day, anywhere from mild/mellow and creamy to full/complex and spicy. I have smoked about 90% of the top cigars of this past year, although I'm still dying to try an Eye of the Shark. (I would probably shit myself if I had the extra cash to cough up for this: https://regencycigar.com/cigars/limited-edition-cigars/rces-rarest-limited-edition-sampler-2565.html). If you're looking for some Opus X, cigarandpipes.com has a deal on the tin of 3 reserva d'chateau and the belicoso xxx and the 5 sampler of the Lost City. Also, you can still find most Opus X on https://www.cigarsdirect.com/cigars/arturo-fuente/opus-x/ although they're mostly overpriced at this point. Just paying forward the love from my research; I can't shell out the cash for them atm, but I figured some of you might be fiending for some.

The Davidoff store clerk in NYC recommended me the Royal Release (can't cough up the $100 for it just yet) and the Year of the Rooster, which I did buy but am hanging onto. He was also super candid and told me half the store was overhyped/overrated, although he did recommend the Lord Byron brand, which I had never heard of. My current favorite stick is probably the long version of the God of Fire Aniversario (I'm saving 9 in my humidors, along with the smaller stick-- I think it's called the 54?). I'm a bit of a deal hound and I've purchased from these stores off the top of my head:
  • Cigars International (the MMAO deals can be insanely good and that's where I amassed the bulk of my collection)
  • Cigar.com (great selection, usually seem to be somewhat pricier though) -- really wanna order more of the Caldwell Anastasia
  • Thompson (great 5-pack fever deals if you want some Rocky Patel Vintage '03, Alec Bradley Tempus Centuria, Caldwell, Avo, Griffin, or Zino)
  • JR Cigars (solid selection, hard to find promo codes)
  • Neptune Cigars -- my second biggest store next to CI, esp with the 15% off we get
If I was gonna order a box of Davidoff WC Late Hours or something, I'd probably use Famous for our 17% off, but I usually avoid boxes unless I can get a great price break on them. I see widespread recommendation of Federal Cigar for some of the brothers who work there and our discount via site sponsorship, along with Puro and I think some other smaller ones were mentioned. I tried going to these stores and they seemed great (although sometimes the price points were slightly higher), but the selection was somewhat limited and it was hard to find what I wanted. Do you have any sites you prefer for certain deals? Figured it'd be cool to share the info/love both ways and start a thread, although I know that I'm not the first to attempt this by any means.

On another note, what are your favorite brands/sticks? Do you think that some brands are super overrated (other than the notoriously controversial ones like Rocky Patel, Gurkha, etc)? Or sticks within brands? I heard that the $100 Zino Platinum Scepter figurado was way overhyped, for instance, along with a large array of Davidoffs (even though the brand is one of my favorites). Currently looking at getting a Master Selection and a Chefs Edition, as well as the 50 year anniversary Padron, and I'm just now tuning into the Diamond Crown lines. I had my first Opus X and Padron last night/today and I was pleased to find that they were not overhyped as far as I am concerned, at least the ones that I tried. What's in your humidor?

causeyrob

kamikaze
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My "humidor" collection is getting out of control in my 350 sqft East Village studio apartment in NYC! 4 50-count desktop humidors, a 300-count one, two massive shoe boxes with about 100+ each, and 2 mason jar humidors. Think I need to order another one or two now too...

Attachments

causeyrob

kamikaze
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hahaha, technically it’s a studio-size 1BR. They often get down to 100-200! And I share it with my fiancé too (don’t ask how she feels about all of the cigars). It’s $2650/mo! :’(

350sqft studio apartments? In the city?

Just out of curiosity... how much does a place like that cost? That’s tiny

causeyrob

kamikaze
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh and store clerk said he DIDN’T like Year of the Rooster, I messed that up. He recommended Year of the Dog, which I’m saving for a special occasion.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Nice view man. I belive we have quite a few brothers in the city.
I love La Riqueza, cabaiguan, RASS, BBF, and L'atelier. Also AJ stuff And CAO Among others.
Don't particularly care for Fuente, Padron or spicy stuff. Don't care for Patel, bradly, etc.
Sounds like you need a big cabinet, bigger place, or ease back on the acquisitions.
Have a few great semi local B&M s favorite sites are famous, Atlantic and sbc.

Last edited:

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Hahaha, technically it’s a studio-size 1BR. They often get down to 100-200! And I share it with my fiancé too (don’t ask how she feels about all of the cigars). It’s $2650/mo! :’(
Man I don’t know how people live in the city. I myself hate New York City. A layover at la guardia is as close as I’ll ever go again.

My mortgage is almost a 1/5 of that in NC!

1750sqfr 1 acre etc :)

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The positive of living in NYC is you do not need a car, or auto insurance. You have the best resturant in the world, entertainment is every here, great public transportation. If you have a good job you make lots and lots of money. That's when their are bumper stickers say I love NYC. Some people do.

Others like places like NC, SC, MS, TX, AZ, and what I call the other 49 States.

causeyrob

kamikaze
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Haha, to each their own. Def perks and disadvantages and it’s certainly not for everyone (literally everyone but me in my family, for instance). I’m a North Carolinian, born and raised. I can safely say that I ate all over NC and in 36 different countries and a number of different Michelin Star restaurants around the county and world. There is just nothing that compared. I haven’t been to Japan yet, so that could easily give us a run for our money. You def pay a higher cost of living for the ability to engage in virtually anything you dream of. Any non-local artists you like, shows, indie films, festivals, multicultural activities, etc. And to be fair, I visited a few times before moving here 2 years ago and it was a mixed bag: sometimes I liked it, sometimes I loved it, others I straight up hated it. But living here is a completely different experience entirely. I doubt I’ll stay here for good, but I don’t see myself leaving anytime soon. When I travel back home to Durham now, I just get bored.

causeyrob

kamikaze
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks! Nice! I joined the NYC cigars group here but seems to now be defunct. Always looking for new smoking buddies.
I like AJ and Cao. Don’t think I’ve heard of the others, so I’ll have to check them out. Any particular sticks you recommend for starters?
Oh and what’s sbc? Do you normally wait for deals on Atlantic, or are you one of their VIPs? I was looking at potentially using them for some Caldwell Anastasias.
Nice view man. I belive we have quite a few brothers in the city.
I love La Riqueza, cabaiguan, RASS, BBF, and L'atelier. Also AJ stuff And CAO Among others.
Don't particularly care for Fuente, Padron or spicy stuff. Don't care for Patel, bradly, etc.
Sounds like you need a big cabinet, bigger place, or ease back on the acquisitions.
Have a few great semi local B&M s favorite sites are famous, Atlantic and sbc.

causeyrob

kamikaze
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hahaha yeah I remember my fiancé and I were looking at mortgages on houses around Durham before we moved and they were around $500-600/mo so it’s definitely been an adjustment... especially considering we make essentially the same. Are you from NC originally? Do you like it in Jacksonville? I’ve only passed through it but don’t think I ever really stopped or did much.
Man I don’t know how people live in the city. I myself hate New York City. A layover at la guardia is as close as I’ll ever go again.

My mortgage is almost a 1/5 of that in NC!

1750sqfr 1 acre etc :)

causeyrob

kamikaze
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We had 2000 sq ft on the river in Saxapahaw for $1100/mo. That was pretty sweet. Wouldn’t mind retiring there.