BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Click Here For Story

AP
FedEx Makes Deal on Tobacco Shipments
Wednesday February 8, 10:39 am ET
FedEx Makes Deal With Attorneys General to Curb Interstate Tobacco Shipments

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- FedEx Corp. said it has reached an agreement with attorneys general in several states to further curb interstate shipments of cigarettes and other tobacco products.
The Memphis-based company, including its cargo airline FedEx Express and FedEx Ground, already prohibits tobacco sellers from shipping products to customers in the U.S., but under the new deal announced Tuesday FedEx agreed to take action against companies that repeatedly violate the policy.

That could include barring the violators from using FedEx services, according to the attorneys general.

The effort has been led by New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, who has mounted a campaign to stop Internet sales of tobacco products that he says has cut into local and state tax revenues and makes it easier for them to get in the hands of minors.

Spitzer's office said Tuesday that FedEx joins DHL, a unit of German postal service Deutsche Post AG, and Atlanta-based UPS Inc. in the agreement not to ship tobacco to U.S. customers.

Last month Philip Morris USA, the nation's biggest tobacco company voluntarily agreed to end shipments of any of its products to customers, Indian tribes and enterprises that 37 states deem illegal.

Last March major credit card companies agreed to stop processing payments from Internet retailers.

Tennessee Attorney General Paul Summers said that his office contacted Memphis-based FedEx on behalf of the multistate effort.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I am in the credit card processing business and we had a serious scare when this issue came up that we were going to have to stop processing for cigar sites. Our group received specific response that cigars were exempt to the Vias MAstercard rule. whew

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
People need to stand up to this garbage. I can see in less than 10 years time a complete prohibition of tobacco.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Next thing you know, they will fine you for smoking cigars or cigarettes in your own home. Jackasses!!!

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Shiba said:
Next thing you know, they will fine you for smoking cigars or cigarettes in your own home. Jackasses!!!
They already do this. I have seen HRS called a number of times for adults smoking in their houses while kids are there.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Eliot Spitzer is a complete jerk and one of the most dangerous crusaders I have seen in my lifetime. He always has a hard-on for someone or something and never met a lawsuit he did not like. He has aspirations to be governor, senator and/or president and will roll over anyone or anything that gets in his way.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
that'll be rough if cigars can't be shipped in the future. How would tobbacconist deal with that?