What's new

Finally taking my honeymoon!

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
That's right me and the old lady are finally getting around to taking our time alone together, first time ever traveling without our kids in fact, and I just wanted to share with everyone!

The details go a bit like this… December 7th we will be embarking on a 2 week eastern/western Caribbean cruise. I'm looking forward to escaping the Chicago winter and heading to sandy beaches for some R&R and many cigars ;-)

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
That is awesome man, congrats. My wife and love to cruise. Where are you going and what liner?
We're going to be cruising with Holland America on their newest ship the Nieuw Amsterdam embarking from Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Our ports of call are:

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Georgetown, Cayman Islands
Costa Maya, Mexico

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Cool, never been on Holland America. Let me know how you like it. We have been to Grand Turk, SanJuan, St. Thomas, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. You will enjoy them all.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Cool, never been on Holland America. Let me know how you like it. We have been to Grand Turk, SanJuan, St. Thomas, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. You will enjoy them all.
Will absolutely let you know! Any tips? Neither me or the wife have ever cruised before.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Congrats! Good thing to finally get it done!

If you never cruised before bring some motion sickness pills.. You may think you can handle it being on a plane and all, but a boat is a whole different story!

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The very first tip I will give you is, take some of those Lysol antibiotic wipes and wipe down your entire cabin before you do anything. I know that is odd, but it can save you from a very bad trip. Two weeks is a long cruise, longest one I have been on is seven days. You will probably have to have some laundry done, but probably no way around that. Check the cigar policy before you board so there won't be any surprises when you light up. I have found that I really only needs three pairs of shoes, dress shoes, flip flops and a good pair of walking shoes. If you do a lot of active shore excursions you may need another pair. If you aren't bringing a tux, then one suit jacket with a couple different pairs of dress pants and shirts will work. I don't drink, so I can't advise you about that. But it ain't cheap. Any specific questions just let me know.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
The very first tip I will give you is, take some of those Lysol antibiotic wipes and wipe down your entire cabin before you do anything. I know that is odd, but it can save you from a very bad trip. Two weeks is a long cruise, longest one I have been on is seven days. You will probably have to have some laundry done, but probably no way around that. Check the cigar policy before you board so there won't be any surprises when you light up. I have found that I really only needs three pairs of shoes, dress shoes, flip flops and a good pair of walking shoes. If you do a lot of active shore excursions you may need another pair. If you aren't bringing a tux, then one suit jacket with a couple different pairs of dress pants and shirts will work. I don't drink, so I can't advise you about that. But it ain't cheap. Any specific questions just let me know.
We got a hell of a deal, two weeks for the price of one, with a balcony room and all! (Which I've already checked I can smoke on! :highfive:)

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
We got a hell of a deal, two weeks for the price of one, with a balcony room and all! (Which I've already checked I can smoke on! :highfive:)
Oh, that is awesome. I always get a balcony. So worth it. Get room service coffee every morning and just walk out on the balcony for a cigar. Very relaxing.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I've cruised a few times from 7 to 10 days.

My only advice...

I've been to a few of those ports and for safety don't stray too far from the beaten paths in the poorer ones ie Jamaica and Mexico.

I prefer to schedule excursions in advanced to reserve spots for what I want to do with the cruise company. They tend to be pretty organized once you land so it makes for a good experience. But in the more developed islands it doesn't hurt to research what is available to schedule with locals/local companies. Can cover more ground if you and your wife are independent from a large group. You don't wait for the "weak link".

I prefer the anytime dining if offered because you tend to snack more than expected and might not be ready for dinner at the scheduled time.

...and don't eat TOO much ;)

Most importantly...just take all in and have fun, you'll be back on mainland and real life before you know it:(

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
nice congrats jay, definitely a great time to escape this chicago weather.
---
some tips i can think of:
---
typically passengers may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) onboard in their carry-on luggage at the beginning of a sailing with no corkage fee. (additional bottles will cost a corkage fee)
---
tip: workaround to sneak your alcohol on a cruise
--> amazon: shampbooze
i've used this product multiple times with no issues
---
to save a few bucks, if you plan to do laundry, don't forget to pack your own laundry pods
---
if you lift, they have the usual suspects of treadmills and smith machines. but if you prefer dumbbells, don't expect anything over 50 lbs.
---
aside from that, maybe have some dramamine or ginger pills ready just in case.
---
and of course don't miss the boat haha.
have a great time and enjoy the weather.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Awesome! Cruises are so much fun, we did one for our honeymoon as well. To me it is a great way to relax and travel, you have a huge ship to keep you busy as you go from location to location with plenty of things to do. Honestly you don't have to think, just go and do!

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Ill figure paying for that honeymoon is why you backed out of the TAA14 fiver lol.

Enjoy!