What's new

Findings re ageing

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is my findings from tonight little experiment. I smoked 2 cohiba piramides El's... with one that has been a outside in the humidor as a single and one that has been left undisturbed in the cabinet. ( I've picked up a few fivers along the track and also had a full box and smoked out of the box as well to compare.

The one that has been sitting outside in the humidor as a single is fairly smoth now and have rounded out quite nicely..a little weak on the cohiba grassiness and a bit more full bodied than I remember.. indicating to me that it is coming out of the cohiba flatness nicely and these flavour and strength hopfully will harmonize well in a near future. Very smokable now though, so don't get me wrong.....
We'll see how it compares to the one that has been resting in a cabinet.

This is the first one I smoke from this box (ECA DIC 02) but can compare it to another box also from dic 02.. don't remember if that one was a ECA though..

Wow.. what a difference in strength...this one still show some harshness..It has a little longer to go before rounding out and revieling it's greatness fully.. but the strenth difference is remarkable.. it seems sitting in the cab the whole time and not even being opened other then 3 monthly quick inspections has amplified the richness of flavours.. give this beauty another couple of years and it is destined to become a classic..
The one not living in a cabinet and frequently exposed to new air is good.. but not IMO destined to be a serious ageing great cigar.. good to smoke now and will perhaps develop further for another few years..
The one in the cab will certainly make me a very happy smoker in another five or so years... I will keep smoking the singles until then I think

My Conclusion.. less air better long term ageing... more air, faster maturation but not as good end result... I totally concur with MRN but had to try myself. ... he he

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In my book.. yes... if you want to wait THAT long for them to age with no air circulation at all.. I am quite prepared to wait 5-10 year.. don't think I want to extend that further just to check though :lol:

However.. I think that if you like the punchy (not marquee) part from a young cigar.. vacuum sealing the box would help retain that for quite a few years if you have more cigars than time to smoke em...

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I dissagree, tottaly and copletely, :roll: but just to make sure, send me a couple of each just to make sure :roll:

:D

Great info Hawk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
coma said:
I dissagree, tottaly and copletely, :roll: but just to make sure, send me a couple of each just to make sure :roll:

Great info Hawk
Well my friend.. you should know in about 24 hours from now.. other people I sent to at the same time have started you yell out things from pain.... so you shouldn't be far behind unless the naughty customs have been efficient for a change :cry:

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
hawkan2580 said:
coma said:

Great info Hawk
Well my friend.. you should know in about 24 hours from now.. other people I sent to at the same time have started you yell out things from pain.... so you shouldn't be far behind unless the naughty customs have been efficient for a change :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just read MRN's book and man I need more storage space if I go buy what he say's. I'm interested also to test his findings out myself.

I just got 2 of the those pyramids on a trade and I think they were fake because they sure did'nt burn or taste like cohibas and the bands were real white on the back side for 3 years of age. I'll have to source some more soon to really be sure.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hawkan - this is good feedback, but...

With variations between boxes from the same factory, let alone variations between boxes from different factories, there is no way to make an accurate analysis unless you're going to used cigars from the same box, received together, and stored for at least 1 year, better if it was 3 to 5 years.

Frankly I'm a bit skeptical, but I've never aged cigars for more than 3 years, and I don't think that would be long enough to appreciate any differences.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
solomr2 said:
Hawkan - this is good feedback, but...

With variations between boxes from the same factory, let alone variations between boxes from different factories, there is no way to make an accurate analysis unless you're going to used cigars from the same box, received together, and stored for at least 1 year, better if it was 3 to 5 years.

Frankly I'm a bit skeptical, but I've never aged cigars for more than 3 years, and I don't think that would be long enough to appreciate any differences.
I agree with you.. this is not a scientific research and wouldn't hold up up a second pretending to give a conclusive result in terms of :ageing in the box will always get a stronger cigar etc...

However.. the result to me indicate this... the cigars were from the same month year and same factory.. storage environment was the big difference.... sure.. it could have been a variation in the cigar itself and that difference would be there without taking the storage into account, but I doubt the difference would have been so remarkable.....it was almost like smoking a medium verses a full bodied version of the same cigar...and just for the record.. these are now 2 months off being 3 years old...

But, please don't take this as anything conclusive as it isn't.. I only relayed my own findings based on one single experiement with too many variables to draw a conclusive result from it. [/i]