First Candela, First Review: Arturo Fuente Curly Head Claro

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay, here's the real review:

Size: 6 1/2 x 43
Wrapper: Connecticut claro
Prices: about $2.50 (and that's $2.50 too much)

The good:
It was green.
It was a cigar.
For about 5 or 6 puffs I convinced myself that it was interesting and that maybe I could enjoy it.
My curiosity has been satisfied.
When I first lit it the smell of burning green leaves reminded me of the fun I had as a pyromaniac child.

The bad:
Wrapper so thin it constantly cracked and unraveled.
Draw so loose it was like sucking through a bundle of straws.
Tunneling, uneven burn. Maybe I should have used La Méthode de Jacques Puisais.
After the first few puffs of mild greenery - sort of like a burning unripe avocado - the bitterness crept in until I felt like my tongue was being run over by flaming tires that left bits of retread in my mouth.

If a lot people say a cigar sucks, that often makes me want to try it. I've discovered a couple of good Gurkhas that way! But in this case, the people who warn against this cigar are right.

After about 1/3 - which was all I could stand, even if the tunneling wasn't making it impossible to smoke - I decided to dissect it, expecting to find bits of hair, shoes, chicken beaks, plaster... but it only a bunch of old stemmy, hard, lumpy chunks of tobacco.

Say goodnight, Gracie.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Nice review! :D

"the bitterness crept in until I felt like my tongue was being run over by flaming tires that left bits of retread in my mouth." :ROFLMAO:

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
It was shit.
I am so glad for this honesty I said to myself "If I click on this thread and there is anything other than saying this cigar is shit I will never read a review again"

Thank you

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would be curious to find out if the binder/filler of the Curly Head is the same as any other AF cigar?!
I had an Illusione 888 candela ~1 1/2 years ago & didn't care for it either. But I've never had the regular 888. But the other day I saw a BOTL smoking a CroMagnon candela! I love the regular CroMagnon & wonder how they would compare.

Thx for the review. Now I know to stay away from the curly head.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks, guys! I'm glad my suffering caused some enjoyment for others. Thanks for the contest heads up 3/5King - hadn't noticed it.

I'm not sure if the main problem was that it was a candela or that it was a Curly Head. I'm vaguely interested in trying a candela with a good reputation, but have never heard of one!

@Brimy623, I remember reading somewhere that it's the trimmings of regular Fuente lines but I'm guessing more like floor sweepings, bits that clogged in processing equipment, and parts of the tobacco plant they don't normally use in cigars - stems, buds whatever. If DE can make a good cigar out of trimmings (Papas Fritas) Fuente should be able to - maybe that's what the Exquisitos are?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not sure if the main problem was that it was a candela or that it was a Curly Head. I'm vaguely interested in trying a candela with a good reputation, but have never heard of one!
I think the candela wrapper is an acquired taste! But I'm in the same boat, trying to find one that taste good. I'll probably see if I can find that CroMagnon. The only other one that I've readily heard about is the Filthy Hooligan by Alec Bradley.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've only had the alec Baldwin filthy hooligan. loved it. Maybe I'm a candela fan. Don't know. But I reccom end that one.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Come to think of it, I think there was a RP The Edge in candela that had some good reviews.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've never had a candela, but I'm curious about them. I don't think I'd start with a Curly Head though. My father in law smokes the regular, non candela CHs. I've smoked them a couple of times with him if I don't have my own smoke. They're.... bad. I've heard the Filthy Hooligan was good.

You could always try to find another elusive Gurkha Sherpa candela....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These short filler deals are really hit or miss. You can have several good ones in a box and a whole lot of garbage. Loved the review!

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Thanks, guys! I'm glad my suffering caused some enjoyment for others. Thanks for the contest heads up 3/5King - hadn't noticed it.

@Brimy623, I remember reading somewhere that it's the trimmings of regular Fuente lines but I'm guessing more like floor sweepings, bits that clogged in processing equipment, and parts of the tobacco plant they don't normally use in cigars - stems, buds whatever. If DE can make a good cigar out of trimmings (Papas Fritas) Fuente should be able to - maybe that's what the Exquisitos are?
The Exquisitos are horrible. Had two maduros a few months back, and couldn't finish either one. Got lots of tar oozing out of both. Love most Fuente smokes,just not those

Great description in the review,btw. Marks for originality.