What's new

First real attempt at Time Lapse Video

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Here is my first attempt at time lapse video. It's this morning's sunrise over Patchogue Bay on the south shore of Long Island.

Taken with Sony A65 with ISO set to Auto (so I didn't have to keep changing it manually every 5 minutes), stitched together in Lightroom and music added in Window's Movie Maker.

[video=youtube;abJmJp61dBI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abJmJp61dBI[/video]

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So this is all still pictures put together to make the video right? How many stills did it take if in fact thats how you did it?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job for your first attempt. The different angels make it a tad too jumpy, could you have used a really wide angle the entire time to make it more seamless? I have no experience with time lapse work so I am asking for my own knowledge as well.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
One thing I do not like about auto settings (and this is in no way a knock on your video, just an observation from doing a few time lapses at work), you get no sense of the change in lightness and darkness in your timelapse. For example, I bet the first 10-15 secs of your video were pretty dark, but because the camera automatically brings up the exposure you can't tell. But manually changing the exposure settings every so often is a real pain in the arse!

If I am out of bounds EVP let me know (since you didn't really ask for advice or critique in your post) and I will delete my post. Just food for thought if you do something similar again.

Last edited:

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
One thing I do not like about auto settings (and this is in no way a knock on your video, just an observation from doing a few time lapses at work), you get no sense of the change in lightness and darkness in your timelapse. For example, I bet the first 10-15 secs of your video were pretty dark, but because the camera automatically brings up the exposure you can't tell. But manually changing the exposure settings every so often is a real pain in the arse!

If I am out of bounds EVP let me know (since you didn't really ask for advice or critique in your post) and I will delete my post. Just food for thought if you do something similar again.
Not out of bounds at all....in fact, I didn't even think of that! That's a pretty good point that I overlooked....thanks and I'll keep that in mind for the next one!

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Nice job for your first attempt. The different angels make it a tad too jumpy, could you have used a really wide angle the entire time to make it more seamless? I have no experience with time lapse work so I am asking for my own knowledge as well.
Yeah, I saw that too afterwards....didn't know it was going to be that jumpy. Because of the light reflecting off the water, my camera sometimes couldn't figure out where to focus so I would move the camera a bit between shots. I should have just zoomed out instead. Note for next time though! :)

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Yeah, I saw that too afterwards....didn't know it was going to be that jumpy. Because of the light reflecting off the water, my camera sometimes couldn't figure out where to focus so I would move the camera a bit between shots. I should have just zoomed out instead. Note for next time though! :)
To fix that, once you have it focused where you would like, switch it to manual focus, that way the camera will just snap and not worry about it.