What's new

First time boxes

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New joiner here and hello to all,

I have tried to do as much reading as I could before asking this, but for aging boxes would you prefer to have the seals intact or brake them.

I have been sitting on a few 10 count boxes that have been resting for a year thus fare. Just want to do right by them. I have heard and read both ways.

Regards,

LeafBound

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I always inspect my boxes (phrasing) on arrival, to make sure there are no damaged or moldy sticks. Luckily that has been very rare, and hasn't happened for many years. I do have a few sealed boxes in my humidor, not sure how they got past me originally but now I just leave them. Too late to blame anything on a vendor now.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Always inspect either by me or vendor. No sense in aging a “sealed” box if damaged or moldy cigars to begin with. Plus certain cigars have better aging possibilities based on wrapper oil content or wrappers.

I am a huge component of tasting as they are aging usually upon first arrival and then as time goes one and once they are are to your taste smoke them!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have mentioned that they came in via a friend from the island, so they arnt going back to a vendor either way. The inspection makes sense to me as all of the have stated. Just didn’t know if there was a benefit to not.

Let the tasting begin I guess lol. It’s been very hard for me to have not cracked them let me tell you.

I appreciate your comments.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
If you have not frozen them, you are at risk of opening a box of dust.
Beetles can destroy your cigars, and anything direct from Cuba needs to be frozen.
put the box into double ziplock bags, or similar, 12 hours in the fridge,3 days in the freezer,12 hours in the fridge again, and then let them come back to room temps.
you really need to inspect your cigars,and with a year gone, you could sample them.
Add any time to the age by checking the box codes on the boxes.
pics of these codes would be appreciated. ;)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed the freezing instructions from this forum the second they got off the plane and into my hands last year.

All of the box codes for Monte 2’s that I got are Dec 17 . The RASS and RJ were split with my father a little while ago and are Dec 17 as well I believe ( don’t have access to those two).

Last edited:

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
beautiful sticks.:woot::wideyed::happy:
any warning stickers on those boxes ?

CopusolerX

Probably spent over .25m on cigars in my life
Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New joiner here and hello to all,

I have tried to do as much reading as I could before asking this, but for aging boxes would you prefer to have the seals intact or brake them.

I have been sitting on a few 10 count boxes that have been resting for a year thus fare. Just want to do right by them. I have heard and read both ways.

Regards,

LeafBound

Everyone always takes a peek to see if everything is ok. I keep them in the box. I always pull one out the top an bottom an place into a humidor. Why? When Cuban cigars are being rolled, they are rolled an placed into a box, always very wet still. This is why they'll be sticky or box press looking. Once you pull one out the top and bottom, give them a chance to gain their natural round shape, better easier smoke.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have never heard of doing this for the reasons mentioned before. Sounds like a sound idea and makes sense but I'm a Habanos nube.