What's new

First timer

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just dropped about $80 to give this pipe smoking thing a try (ok, some of that was the Serie V). Not sure what I got here in terms of what others think is good, but I liked the way these three tobaccos smelled and each one seemed different from the others, so I figure I’ll have a shot at finding something I like. Been smoking cigars for years, but never tried a pipe. My grandfather and my father did but they quit over the whole cancer scare. Anyway, I’ll post tomorrow when I light up.

3CF4C055-1DBE-4F4C-B675-529452293BAD.jpeg

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started with the 965. My first packing of the bowl was evidently right as I didn't have to relight at all. I didn't particularly like the 965. Not that it was bad, but it certainly isn't something that would pull me to it rather than one of my cigars. And it didn't have the smell that I always love when my wife and I are out and both of us are like, "Someone is smoking a pipe!".
I'm pressing on in hopes that one of the other tobaccos makes me want to keep going down this road. As with cigars, it is the ritual, not just the flavor that I love... and I do enjoy the pipe process and the almost meditation-like feeling I have when smoking. But I need to find a tobacco that makes me want to smoke it.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Don't give up on the 965 - it's a sort of benchmark blend and tastes in pipe tobacco seem to evolve more than cigars. Are the other two Cornell and Diehl blends?

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah they are.
Founding Fathers is a pomegranate-flavored aro, with mostly pretty good reviews. They have 6 different blends in the Working Man series, so not sure which one you got: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search#q=working man TR is a really valuable resource for finding new blends.

Since you already have some C&D, I'd try some McClelland blends next. You practically can't go wrong with them, but their Virginia and English blends are the most praised. Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hogarth are two great UK brands to explore, and not too hard to find.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tracked this down today so I can keep trying flavors tonight. My understanding is that I have to let the Briar pipe rest for a day, so I found a cob pipe at Walgreens. Believe it or not, the pipe tobacco selection in Vegas is not great. If you want to smoke hookah (or hooker for that matter) Vegas has you covered. If you want real pipe tobacco, good luck.

Loving the smell of the Capt Black!!! I may leave that in the Shelby permanently!!!

9C143E1E-B738-4898-999A-DEF202C0B5F0.jpeg

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
take the filter out of that cob. also- hit me up on PM and I'll send you some samples. I think you'll find that the tobacco that smells great to everyone else isn't as good as the tobacco that tastes great to the pipesmoker- especially one who is a cigar smoker (unless you like Acid....)