What's new

First timer

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_1133.JPG
Smoked my first cc courtesy of @jasonatjl . I knew this one was very mild so I smoked it in the morning with a clean palette and it was pretty nice. I have several others to try out in the coming weeks that should have a bit more flavor. I have been reading up on cuban cigars in the forum as I am going to Cuba in April and want to bring back a couple of boxes but I have a few questions about aging. I assume that everything being sold in Cuba will be relatively fresh, no? I was hoping to be able to sample a few before I buy but if they are too fresh won't they be awful? Does anyone here have experience buying down there? Any input would be appreciated.

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
When in Cuba only buy from a La Casa Del Habano- they are the franchise outlets for Cuban cigars. Everything else could be risky as far as fakes. With Cubans most will improve greatly over time but some are very good fresh. Only way to tell really is to smoke one.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
unless you are aiming at some of the high dollar -needs years- flip it- cigars, don't even worry about it.
Find some custom rolls at the prominent hotels,and enjoy them.
The savings is minimal, the cigars will need to be frozen when you get home, and selection is sketchy.
Yes, they will be very young, as will the custom rolls, but you have time to do the research and know what to look for when you get there.
be sure to get a factura (receipt ) to satisfy customs to leave the country.
don't buy anything off the street, and good luck.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
unless you are aiming at some of the high dollar -needs years- flip it- cigars, don't even worry about it.
Find some custom rolls at the prominent hotels,and enjoy them.
The savings is minimal, the cigars will need to be frozen when you get home, and selection is sketchy.
Yes, they will be very young, as will the custom rolls, but you have time to do the research and know what to look for when you get there.
be sure to get a factura (receipt ) to satisfy customs to leave the country.
don't buy anything off the street, and good luck.
Yah, not looking for anything fancy or really expensive....more of a momento that I can have for many years. The custom rolls seem most enticing to me at this point. I have noticed that as you say cost savings is pretty minimal. Thanks for the info.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Your trip just got better, since you don't need to worry about all the hassle of searching around.
Search out the best wrappers and codes for your memories.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
There are definitely certain cigars that you can save a lot by buying in Cuba vs the online retailers. The new QdO is one example of being pretty cheap in Cuba compared to online. You can get a great deal on Upmann Sir Winston if you find some. Many other boxes are drastically reduced in Cuba, just have to know prices and what you like. If I were you, I'd create a list of cigars that you are interested in after comparing the price list vs online retailer prices. I personally would look for boxes that are much cheaper in Havana, harder to find cigars, and/or custom rolls.

This is a good price list for what to expect in Cuba: http://yulcigars.blogspot.com/

Regarding your "fresh" question... yes many of the boxes you will find will be pretty fresh, but you can also find some boxes with 2-3 years on them if you're lucky. That isn't the norm though, but depends on what cigar you are looking for. Some people like fresh cigars so if I were you, I wouldn't even have that thought in mind when buying. Would you want cuban cigars, or no?

Something else to keep in mind... as said above, only buy in the LCDH shops. When in old town Havana, go to Partagas or Hotel Conde de Villanueva. I personally would not buy singles either, only boxes. You just never know what you will get when buying singles and if you're not very educated on what to look for, well... Odds are you would be fine in the LCDH shops, but even then, not 100% safe. If you want to buy/smoke a couple singles there, pick wisely in the LCDH shops, you should be fine. Or better yet, smoke a couple custom rolls from Reynaldo at Conde de Villanueva.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I just looked at the Yuli list again... if the price is still accurate, look for an H.Upmann Noellas jar if they are $122. That's a great price and is a nice keepsake jar for a memento of your trip. I recently saw someone post a picture of a bunch of jars in one of the shops, I can't remember which one though.