What's new

Fish sauce

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Geez I just love fish sauce so much. Sitting here eating a delicious green curry with chicken and rice with a generous sprinkling of Red Boat fish sauce. It's the best stuff in the world. What's your favorite fish sauce, favorite way to use it?

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Never heard of the stuff... Is it literally fish sauce or just a weird name? And, what do you put it on?

It does say "Cock Brand" so I'm sure @manbearpig and @OldSkoolTarHeel are pretty familiar with it.
It's made from pressed anchovies, and it smells funky as hell, but it tastes like salty umami heaven. At its most basic use, sprinkle it on rice. But you can use it for tons of stuff, like salt. One of my favorite things is mixing fish sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar, chopped Thai chiles, garlic, fresh mint, a little sugar, and a dash of liquid smoke. I use that for everything. Salad dressing, salt and pepper replacement, put it on potato chips for the best thing ever, chicken wings… discovering good fish sauce changed my life.

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
As long there isn't a ton of it used it is great. My wife is thai so she uses fish sauce in a about everything she cooks.

The sauce you make is very similar to a Thai sauce called nam pla prik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
As long there isn't a ton of it used it is great. My wife is thai so she uses fish sauce in a about everything she cooks.

The sauce you make is very similar to a Thai sauce called nam pla prik

There's also there Vietnamese version called nuoc cham, which is kind of what I based it on. Never knowingly had the Nam pla prik version. Care to share your wife's recipe?

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
There's also there Vietnamese version called nuoc cham, which is kind of what I based it on. Never knowingly had the Nam pla prik version. Care to share your wife's recipe?
Me: How do you make your Thai sauce?

Wife: Put garlic and chili into the mortar and crush. Then add sugar, fish sauce and lime.

Me: How much of everything?

Wife: Enough to make sweet, sour, spicy and good.

On her defense I have never seen her use any measuring device. Everything is done purely on taste visual appearance.

Good luck @VeLoRoK

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0

Wife: Put garlic and chili into the mortar and crush. Then add sugar, fish sauce and lime.

On her defense I have never seen here use any measuring device. Everything is done purely on taste visual appearance.

Good luck @VeLoRoK

Sounds about right. Basically what I do with the couple extra ingredients.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I've heard of fish sauce before, but have never had it. I'm not a big fan of anchovies though, Is it fishy tasting?
Some are better than others. The red boat brand, which is the one that made me a true fan, is supposed to be one of the purest. No msg or anything, just anchovies and salt. Doesn't taste fishy. Kind of a funky salty sweetness. And don't let funky scare you, think of it as the smell of a ripe parmesan. That kind of funky. The good kind.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0

On her defense I have never seen her use any measuring device. Everything is done purely on taste visual appearance.

Good luck @VeLoRoK

She's a ninja in the kitchen! LMAO