What's new

Fishing in Canada, or Alaska

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My son and I are talking about a fishing trip to Canada or Alaska. Looking for a fly-in cabin, on a lake, be left for a week or so. Have any of you done this kind of trip and can make recommendation.

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
What type of fish do you want to catch? Pike, Walleye, Muskie?
I missed this trip but my buddies went to Quants lake, Canada. They loved it. Relatively cheap and a bunch of pike over 40". The YouTube video at the bottom are my buddies. Out of all the trips we've been on this was probably the best. We are going to Nakina next year.

Link to Quantz Lake
http://www.hearstair.com/about/quantz-lake/

If you have time read Mike Borgers reports. He goes all over.
http://www.canadafishingguide.net/author/mike/

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thank you @drob03, this is exactly what we are looking for. Being in South Louisiana, we fish completely different species and styles. I fly fish and bait cast for saltwater species, spotted weakfish (speckled trout), Red fish, Snapper, Tuna and such.
I am looking for a place to be away from everything, and people. To shoot pictures, and fish, smoke some cigars, drink some scotch, kinda trip.

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
When my buddies went to Quantz they were the only ones on the lake.
A lot of the fly ins are like that.

Pike
Put up awesome fight
Trophy size above 40"
Harder to fillet but taste good
Slimmy
I would use 6'6" rod or bigger medium-heavy spinning or bait caster
15lb-30lb line
Steel leader
Or 80-100lb Fluoro carbon leader(make your own)
3/4oz-1oz Dardevle spoons
Swim baits 3-4" or bigger
Spinners

Walleye
Smaller
Taste great
Fillet easier
Jig off the bottom
Lighter rod- I use my pike set up others bring lighter rods

I've never flies fished for pike but eventually will. You ll need a larger 8-9 weight rod with some big streamers!

When looking for a lake I would look for a shallower one 6-15 ft. This way you have an easier time finding the fish.

What time of the year are you thinking of going? If you have a choice I would do around Labor Day into middle of September.

I watch Uncut Angling on YouTube all the time. A lot of great informative videos.
https://m.youtube.com/user/uncutangling

If you can't tell I love to Pike fish!

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thank you for the link, this is what I am looking for. I was hoping for a site for two, but we should be able to put together a few fiends to fill in a crew. I have wanted to do a trip like this since I was a kid. Taking care of the bucket list!

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I normally just fish my locale around Anchorage and the MatSu borough, with the occasional salmon/halibut trip out of Homer on the Kenai Peninsula...but a popular place for fly-in fishing is Bristol Bay. You can fish the salmon runs and I know folks who go for steelhead. I don't have any specific recommendations for guides or cabins but I think the Bristol Bay Lodge is the major operation there.