What's new

Flake tobacco

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Into pipe season for me now. Weather is colder and I have a shorter commute. The other day, I was getting into a new tin and got to wondering how everyone here deals with flake. I open the tin and rub out about half of it into a zip lock freezer baggie. Makes it easier and quicker to fill/pack the pipe.

How do the rest of you handle this? Does anyone just rub out what they need for that particular bowl?

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Just what I need for the bowl.

Though I don't smoke flake all that often, mostly for a change of pace. With that in mind, I'm not sure how I'd handle it if that was what I mainly smoked. Depends on the prep time you wish to spend, or have available per bowl I suppose.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
It depends.

If it's a new flake, then I'll just rub out what I need for the bowl.
If it's an old favorite, then I'll probably rub out quite a bit to enjoy over the next week or so.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck I don't even rub it out most of the time, at least not the whole thing.

I'll take the flake, pull a 1/4-1/3 chunk off, depending on the flake size. Next, I roll up the larger portion and stuff it in the pipe; then I rub out the rest and pack it in as a kindling. Seems to work pretty well for me. :)

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Into pipe season for me now. Weather is colder and I have a shorter commute. The other day, I was getting into a new tin and got to wondering how everyone here deals with flake. I open the tin and rub out about half of it into a zip lock freezer baggie. Makes it easier and quicker to fill/pack the pipe.

How do the rest of you handle this? Does anyone just rub out what they need for that particular bowl?
As a novice pipe smoker, (always had a few but never really got into it), what do you mean by "rub out"?

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Chuck,

Basically breaking the flakes apart to loose leaf tobacco, which allows for a good, even burn.. often, it comes in cakes, so it needs to be split.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Heck I don't even rub it out most of the time, at least not the whole thing.

I'll take the flake, pull a 1/4-1/3 chunk off, depending on the flake size. Next, I roll up the larger portion and stuff it in the pipe; then I rub out the rest and pack it in as a kindling. Seems to work pretty well for me. :)
This is pretty much my approach also, I will fold the flake a couple times roll it and stuff it in the pipe then rub out a bit and put it on top.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want rubbed tobacco, buy ready-rubbed, or ribbon cut.

I like flake because it smokes slower, and it's thus cooler. Also, the flavour is more intense.

So I don't rub it at all. I fold it and stuff it into the pipe. This makes it hard to light, but once it gets going, it's heaven.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
If you want rubbed tobacco, buy ready-rubbed, or ribbon cut.

I like flake because it smokes slower, and it's thus cooler. Also, the flavour is more intense.

So I don't rub it at all. I fold it and stuff it into the pipe. This makes it hard to light, but once it gets going, it's heaven.
Welcome to BOTL. Why not stop by the Intro Thread and tell us about yourself.:applause:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I might. I've reviewed many blends in Tobacco Reviews and some people may know me from there.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I take a medium amount and break it up into a small canning Jar with the tops and rings. Keeps them in good condition and I am not having to break up flake as often when I want a pipe.