What's new

Flu shot?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Do you get a flu shot? I used to not get one, but as I have gotten older I have changed my thinking.
Yesterday I went and got a flu shot and a pneumonia shot. Nothing to the shots. I have been having some minor effects this morning. Sore arm (no biggie), low grade fever and had the chills that lasted an hour or two.
How about you? Flu shot, yea or nay and why?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Nah, everybody I know either gets sick when they get the shot or finds out later that this year's virulent strain wasn't included in the shot. I just try to stay healthy and not kiss any babies
That is the same reason I used to use. Boudie, I am curious, can I ask your age?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I’m 25 and I haven’t gotten the shot for at least the last 7 years. The effectiveness of the shot seems to really vary every year with the new flu strains popping up. I try to pay a little more attention this time of year and if I start to show any cold symptoms or anything I hit it with the cold&flu medicine hard right away. But, I also don’t have kids and work in an office of only 10 people, so I’m not as exposed to it as others are.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I never got the shot until 6 years ago. Now I work for the town I have to be ready to go 24/7 so I started getting it. I don't regret it, no major illnesses since. On another note, my wife used to get it until 2015 when she became deathly I'll with TTP. Her doctor thought it may have been triggered by the flu shot. She will never get one again.

Sent from my blanket fort using crayons.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
After the “H1N1” debacale, I don’t trust any flu shoot system , I’m retired now and age 62 , I just watch my health and if people r sick I stay away. The last few years CDC has missed it and can’t seem to get it right ......

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I don't get one either. Never had the flu and if I do get it I have paid sick days to burn. No real reason why but it does seem to be a gamble every year if its going to work. You mentioned a sore arm. My company had CVS come out a give flu shots to those who wanted one. Most complained about how sore their arm was after the shot. Easiest way to prevent the flu is for people to keep their sick butts home.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had the flu maybe twice in my life. I've only had a flu shot once (my nurse sister in law forced me into it) and that was one of the times I got the damn flu.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I have gotten the flu shot for the past 15 years and have not gotten sick with the flu once during that period. If my insurance covers it and it keeps me from getting sick it is well worth it. The hour or so of my time it takes to go and get the shot is more than offset by the week of misery and lost work if I do get the flu. Kind of a no-brainer for me.

The myth that the Flu shot can give you the flu is totally unfounded, just like the idea that vaccinations cause autism in kids. As far as my arm hurting, I'm a big boy and can put up with a little muscle pain in my arm for a day or two. I take some Aleve and go about my life.

#nobigdeal.
#notapussy

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get them every year now. I dont like being unwell and anything that can lessen that time if I fall sick is worth it. I'm 44 and feel lifes to o short to not take care of what's left if it for me
I got deathly sick about 15 years ago after bot getting a flu shit for a long time and that woke me up. It's a 3 second shot that can strengthen your immune system. Why not?

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The thing a lot of people miss is that the flu strain is constantly evolving and the flu shot only helps inoculate against strains that exist already. So you might very well get the flu still. You might have a lessened effect, or you might go the whole year ok

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Due to my work in the medical field, I'm pretty much "forced" to receive the shot or pay a fee and have insurance premium increase (IIRC) should I refuse. And when the flu was declared "prevelant" in NY state, anyone who doesn't get the shot needs to wear a surgical mask while in any patient care areas.

So, yes I've received the shot for the past 12 years maybe a few more, and yes I've had the flu before. My very first time I had it, I felt like death for 3-4 days. I actually had it this year as well, on top of a sinus infection too which put me out of work for 2 weeks but not as bad as previous flu illnesses I've encountered.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I always said I never get the flu... and never get a flu shot. If I get the flu, I'll start getting them. Probably 5 years ago, I got the flu bad. Now I get flu shots. No issues since then.