What's new

Fly fisherman?

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Does anyone out there fly fish? I've been a fisherman my whole life but never tried fly fishing. My dad brought his old fly rod on a fishing trip earlier this year and it peaked my interest. I'm taking a fly fishing class this weekend to learn to cast and learn the basics. It already seems like another slippery slope.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I used to go a lot with my dad, but his equipment. He ties all his own flies and everything. I’m sure it can be a slippery slope. Just get a good weight rod that can handle what you plan on catching. Just don’t want too light. Most do floating fly line but i think there is sinking line as well. Did a lot of wading so good waders and shoes are a must if you do. It does take a little practice with the different types of casting but not really that hard if you’re fairly coordinated. Have fun and post updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
its a very slippery slope indeed. I started fishing exclusively for bass baitcasters and a million different lures and gradually got into fly fishing for trout and bass as occasionally as well. Good waders/boots are a must but I’ve never seen a need to buy top of the line gear. Orvis makes great stuff on both ends of the spectrum but their high end prices are impossible for me to justify. Dip your toes in with a cheaper fly combo until you get the hang of it and decide if you enjoy it or not. It’s a huge change of pace/style/tactics/knowledge if you are coming from “modern” bass fishing as I was. Also watch the hell out of YouTube casting videos and you’ll pick it up in no time. I taught my self the basic casts/mends and line control stuff over the course of about 3-4 days on the water. Also keep in mind what kind of fish you plan on targeteting as some species are just much more efficiently and enjoyably caught on spinning/baitcasting gear.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm a fly fisherman, tie all my own flies, and am lucky enough to live a couple minutes from the best trout stream in my state. I can be found at the river more often than most people can be found at church, I’m not an expert but let me know if you have any questions or need some help starting out.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Didn't know there was any other way to fish. Some good trout water in Northern Georgia and even better in the Smoky Mountains of Eastern Tennessee.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. Been doing it since my days at Arizona State. 24+ years or so. It is a slippery slope indeed, but it doesn't have to be expensive. Like anything else, it can be VERY expensive. Fly tying alone is a hobby all on its own. What kind of fish are you after?

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I bought a 9' 5 wt and a variety of different flies the week after the first post in this thread. I've been practicing at the lake catching bluegill and small bass and have been having a blast. We're planning a trip to western North Carolina in late October so I hope to do a little trout fishing then.

For now, I've got too many other hobbies to take on making my own flies. I'm a big DIYer but that's a slippery slope I'm staying away from for now!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk