What's new

Flying domestically with cigars

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello All,

I am about to take a trip from Michigan to Florida, I just ordered a herfador from CI and boveda packs. My questions are these:

1. Can I put the boveda right in direct contact with my cigars?
2. What about closing the lid, will the bovedas burst? Obviously I'll be careful
3. Do I need to unband my cigars so that they don't get taken? (They are CC's)
4. Do I travel with my lighters full or empty?

Sorry for these elementary questions!

Joe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had zero issues with placing a Boveda on top of my cigars. Boveda packets are not sealed and thus will not burst. Since they 'breath' they won't over-humidify your smokes.

Regarding taking the bands off, I seriously doubt you'd need to do that. I haven't had my cigars rummaged through so I can't fully speak to what would happen, assuming the person inspecting them even knew Cuban versus non-Cuban.

You can't travel with jet lighters but regular Bic style lighters are fine from what a couple of TSA agents told me. I still don't travel with lighters on a plane, instead, I buy a cheap Bic at a gas station or convenience store after I arrive at my destination.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
#1. Yes but I usually lay mine on a cedar sheet
#2. You'd have to really cram them in
#3. Not going through customs so shouldn't be a problem but what is the harm?
#4. Buy a cheap lighter when you get there. Not worth losing a good lighter

Make sure you have a vent on the humi. Pressure change can lock it up

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I take 40-50 domestic flights every year and always have a 15-count travel humidor with me.

To answer your questions...

1. Can I put the boveda right in direct contact with my cigars?
Yes you can according to the Boveda website. There is a foam layer at the bottom of most travel humidors though and I place a my Boveda pack under that.
2. What about closing the lid, will the bovedas burst? Obviously I'll be careful
There is more than enough room inside and the foam gives it some flexibility so no need to worry.
3. Do I need to unband my cigars so that they don't get taken? (They are CC's)
No need to remove bands. TSA does not care about cigars, only liquids, gels, weapons, etc. The only place you need to worry about cigars being confiscated is if you are bringing them back in from outside the US. Even then, Customs and Border protection is more concerned about drugs, agricultural pests and counterfeit products than they are about cigars. Flying domestically with Cuban cigars is definitely not an issue. I've done it 100's of times with zero issues.
4. Do I travel with my lighters full or empty?
Jet lighters are strictly prohibited so it is best not to even try if it is a lighter you care about. I have found that if you have a plastic bodied lighter it is less likely to show up on the x-ray and you can sneak them through in your backpack but I still get one confiscated every now and then. The plastic ones I use are less than $5 so I don't see it as a big deal if they do get confiscated. Soft flame lighters like Bics are 100% OK though in your carry-on luggage so that is the way to go if you want to be sure. Otherwise, just buy a cheap jet lighter at a gas station or truck stop when you get to Florida and leave it behind when you fly home.