What's new

For those who've made the switch...

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
... to habanos of course!

How long did you keep your stash of domestic cigars around?
How long did you contemplate in what to do with them all?
Just how many domestic bombs can you make in bringing satisfaction to a new cigar smoke?
And finally, do you still keep a few on hand to smoke every once in a blue moon to re-strengthen your desire for the leaf from the ISOM?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't have a ton of storage yet, so my process is that as I get more habanos, more of my domestics are pushed out of the humi. Many of them, I either move to my small work humidor for giving away or just gifted right away. As long as space isn't an issue, I don't mind keeping some of them around, but mostly premiums.

I think in all, I maybe only have between 2 and 3 hundred sticks, so I don't have the vast numbers as some of the botls here.

There are still a couple of domestics on my to try list just to satisfy my curiousity of their hype, but I have yet to be impressed as of late.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I don't have too many domestics anymore but I do enjoy an occasional Anejo, 858 SG. I still maintain a pretty good stockpile of Anejo's, a few 858 SG's, a couple OPUS, a few assorted Fuente Holiday sticks, and a few PAM's. I do like to take a break from Habano's every once in awhile and these fit the bill real nicely.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I too, keep some of the premium domestics around. When I want to smoke something that I know that is nearly 100% consistent I'll grab one.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I have one tray from BH that has about 35 various Opus and Fuente's and about 2/3 of a box of 858 Maduro's left and that's it.

I recently sold all of my other NC's to some newbs at CW...30 to 40 sticks each for a very good price.

As far as how long...well, I joined CW in October and had never seen a habano. By December my tupperdor with Habanos was bigger than the one with my NC's in it.

shatfield

Toast? Nope, Burnt!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I still have about 100 left. I keep the good ones for me or special friends, the other ones go to people that visit my house and want a smoke. I'll probably keep 'em, but I'm definitely not going to buy anymore.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I keep about 30-40 premium NC's in my top tray of the Antietam...most of them being gifts. All other NC's have either been given away or sold as newbie samplers.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I am the same... I tend to smoke more cubans than domestics but i still do keep the always reliable NC's around....

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I still have quite a few, a 50qt cooler full. Plus 2 Hemingway boxes and some AF Don Carlos, Opus and Anejo's that I keep in the 150qt with my cubans. I've moved a few through bombs and contests but I'm in no hurry to get rid of them all. I rarely smoke them anymore but I still like to paw through them from time to time. I figure they'll be good for some guests and friends who like them. All of my new purchases are cubans and I plan to keep stocking up on them. But who knows what may happen in Cuba in the next few years? A regime change could have huge effects on either the price or quality of the cigars we love from there. If that were to happen I doubt that I would just stop smoking cigars once I ran out of cubans. At least I'd have some aged non-cubans to be smoking.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Still have many, many more NCs than I do CCs. Planning on setting up a sale at CW as no one around here seems to be interested (go figure! LOL). I don't PLAN on ever getting completely away from NCs as there are some I still enjoy, but you never know. I do plan on having my next purchases be leaf from the ISOM though.

Mad Dawg

Herf Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resisted complete conversion for months. I used all but the best of what I had in bombs and hot potatoes, and every so often I'd haul out an old favorite and smoke it. Time after time, I was sorely disappointed with cigars that I had once flipped out over, which got depressing after a while. In the end, I sold them all at bargain-basement prices.

Now, the only domestics I have are a handful I've been gifted, and they just sit in the humi. If I get to the point where space is critical (which WILL happen as soon as those P2s become available), it will be time for another newbie bomb....

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I rarely smoke NC's anymore. Just don't do anything for me. The ones that do are more expensive than cuban cigars I like, so why bother.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
windowrx said:
I still have quite a few, a 50qt cooler full. Plus 2 Hemingway boxes and some AF Don Carlos, Opus and Anejo's that I keep in the 150qt with my cubans. I've moved a few through bombs and contests but I'm in no hurry to get rid of them all. I rarely smoke them anymore but I still like to paw through them from time to time. I figure they'll be good for some guests and friends who like them. All of my new purchases are cubans and I plan to keep stocking up on them. But who knows what may happen in Cuba in the next few years? A regime change could have huge effects on either the price or quality of the cigars we love from there. If that were to happen I doubt that I would just stop smoking cigars once I ran out of cubans. At least I'd have some aged non-cubans to be smoking.
You bring up an interesting point right there