What's new

For what cigar did humidor resting make the most difference?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting here smoking a CAO Extreme. When I got these back in December of last year, they were unsmokably harsh. After 6 months they were decent. And after 9 months they're quite tasty. Coffee and chocolate, yum.

For which of your cigars did resting make the most difference?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I enjoy Tatuaje brown labels when they've spent time in the humidor. I also enjoy Liga Privada 9 and Dirty Rats when they mellow out but I know many like them fresh. Old Anejos are also excellent. I find a large difference between older 46s and 48s vs new production 888s and I don't attribute the difference to vitola.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
A few come to mind, but the one that stands out most for me is the DPG Black. They're still good smokes ROTT, but smoking them fresh has put me back in my chair a couple times... After a year in the box, they're just as tasty (if not better) but much more approachable and a real pleasure to smoke.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
MF Le Bijou after at least a year, preferably 2+ actually most MF stuff that way.

Tatuaje, never had one I liked fresh. There's a few of their milder smokes that are good with just a little more than shipping recovery time, 2-4 months. But for the most part I prefer a minimum of a year.

Those two NC brands change significantly with age IMO, even short term sleep

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I will third the Tatuaje vote. I bought a box of Noelle Reserve back in November based on the recommendations of quite a few brothers here. After a few weeks rest they were extremely harsh, and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Tried one again last month, and after the first puff, I couldn't believe what a fantastic cigar it had become.
Then again, maybe it's me that has changed over the last 10 months.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did an experiment about 5 years ago with about 30 different NC brands and had them in separate tupperware humidors to gauge at what rest intervals they smoked best. This went on for a full year and documented the results on another Forum where I would smoke them after each month and measured the quality of the resting period. I got to know these cigars pretty well since at that time in my life I was smoking at least 2 cigars a day anyway...so might as well put some research into my habit. When I went back to look for this experiment it seems as all of the info was deleted because of some "issues" on that site that they got deleted because of ....cough cough...internal strife. Suffice to say there was a good following of that thread where people wanted to know what my results were over that period of 12 months. It was a good experiment as I sent some out to those who knew the cigars well and didn't like them but wanted to smoke one with 10 months of rest and......they were surprised at the change of flavor profile they had. They went from a marginal cigar to something they said they'd now buy given that they actually got to smoke the cigar I used as an experiment. Had a couple of guys smoke a "Dark Shark" and converted to buying them with about a years rest...the cigar had changed that much and as cheap as they were to buy they told me it was a cigar they really liked. What I did was send them the cigar w/o the band on and told em it was another cigar ( yes, I lied to them...but only to prove a point ) and after they PM'd me back telling me what a good cigar it was did I tell them that they just smoked a Dark Shark .....gasp!! If I can ever find this thread from another Forum I'll post for those who want to see the names of the cigars..if I forget PM me.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I will third the Tatuaje vote. I bought a box of Noelle Reserve back in November based on the recommendations of quite a few brothers here. After a few weeks rest they were extremely harsh, and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Tried one again last month, and after the first puff, I couldn't believe what a fantastic cigar it had become.
Then again, maybe it's me that has changed over the last 10 months.
I think you just lucked out and grabbed the only good one in your box. They will all mostly be like what you had back in November, extremely harsh. I'll take them off your hands, PM me :)

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Cigary43 Hmmm, now I may have to buy 20 of these and put 'em to sleep for a while.

Thanks for writing that!
YW...Young cigars give off ammonia as a byproduct of fermentation so this is another reason as to why some marginal cigars get a bad rating. Resting gives them a chance to balance their profile while some brands you can't help at all. ..this is where personal choice comes into play...but I'd rather give em a chance and find a winner than to pitchem into the woods.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting here smoking a CAO Extreme. When I got these back in December of last year, they were unsmokably harsh. After 6 months they were decent. And after 9 months they're quite tasty. Coffee and chocolate, yum.

For which of your cigars did resting make the most difference?
Still have any extremes? I’d pay too dollar for them