What's new

French Press

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
So I am a complete coffee noob. Any good resources out there. I am in the need of a good press (priced well) and some good beans. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
IMO Bodum makes the best french press and the prices aren't too bad. Check out info. and prices here.
For some good coffee beans you might want to check out Mr. Jerry at Killer Beans.
If you'd like to try some fresh home roasted coffee PM me your contact info and I'll get some out to you.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
They have those bodum press's over at Bed Bath and Beyond and I have a $5 off and a 20% off coupon. I'll have to get over there today.

I'll definitely be in touch to try some home roast!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Looks like what we have in my house. Seems to work pretty well. Maybe the 4 in the model number means 4 cups? I think we have the 2 cup model.

You just pulse the button till you get a grind you like.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
joshua said:
Looks like what we have in my house. Seems to work pretty well. Maybe the 4 in the model number means 4 cups? I think we have the 2 cup model.

You just pulse the button till you get a grind you like.
That makes sense. Now I need to figure out the right grind.

I'd like to find a local shop near me to try out some good beans.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I guess since this isn't coffeegeek I can tell you to email me and I can hook you up with some good beans. A french press grind actually should be pretty coarse, a whirly grinder like that is going to make it hard to get a consistent grind. As you progress you're going to want a conical burr grinder that is adjustable so that you can make drip coffee and grind for your french press. I've been really impressed with the Bodum travel press it's good for right before work. You just grind up your beans, but in 200 degree water and let it sit for a minute while you finish getting ready or start your drive to work, after about 4 minutes press down the plunger and you're good to go. Speaking of 200 degrees that's very important any time your making coffee the water quality and temperature are going to drastically affect how it tastes. Go to coffeegeek .com and welcome to the HUGE world that is coffee!

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Thanks for the info.

I am really going into this blind. Bought the FP last night, got an 8 cup Bodum Chambord.

What else is needed? Got a link for those grinders?

I'll have to check out the CG forums too

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Oh man, a personal french press would be so awesome for work here cause they don't have a coffee machine around... but I have a microwave available for heating water and I have a mug here. Hmm...

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
They have them pretty cheap over at Bed Bath & beyond, plus they send out coupons all the time!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There's some good stuff here about grinders it really just depends on what you wanna spend ( I seem to remember reading someone else posting that in regards to a question I asked)