Fresh Rolled Cigars

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by chefjohn, Mar 16, 2019 at 5:21 PM.

1. chefjohn

chefjohn

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey guys. I read some posts in another group where someone was attending an event where they had someone rolling cigars which were available for purchase. Some people were purchasing them a lighting them right up. Maybe as a rookie I’m not understanding the process but wouldn’t those freshly rolled sticks be kind of green and need to rest/age for a bit before smoking them?

Thebutcher likes this.
  2. Thebutcher

Thebutcher testing testing.....is this thing on?

IN!! for the answer on this one too,always wondered about this after reading all the info on aging cigars here.
    I have also read about guys smoking fresh sticks while visiting in Cuba.

chefjohn likes this.
  3. Boudie

Boudie donor2

Basically with fresh rolls the ammonias and byproducts of fermentation haven't had time to build up in the cigar and develop unpleasant flavors/odors. After a couple of weeks cigars enter a "sick period" where the unpleasant flavors have build up to the point they become a problem or a prominent flavor. As the cigars age and fermentation slows down the unpleasant stuff escapes from the cigar faster then the ongoing fermentation can replace them Eventually fermentation slows to the point that you call the cigar properly aged with the ammonia and bad stuff at very low levels in the cigar. Fermentation never stops in a cigar, just slows down to the point that the bad flavors and aromas escape faster then fermentation can replace them.

I think that's it in a nutshell but I don't roll cigars so I'm not an expert.

ATL827, icehog3, chefjohn and 2 others like this.
  4. Thebutcher

Thebutcher testing testing.....is this thing on?

@Boudie
    Thanks that makes sense I wondered why you could smoke fresh but aged the rest.

Boudie likes this.
  5. chefjohn

chefjohn

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Boudie. That makes a lot of sense.

Boudie likes this.
  6. icehog3

icehog3 Outlaw Hockey Biker donor5

@Boudie nailed it.

I was in the Bahamas and the resort had a guy come from Havana once a week to roll cigars for the guests (for sale). I smoked a few of them over a couple trips and they were very enjoyable. I think the environment has a lot to do with it as well, tough not to like a cigar in paradise.

7. D0CH0LLIDAY

D0CH0LLIDAY

It depends on the leaf used. I have smoked some soon after I rolled them and they were great. Others were harsh, just depends on the quality of the tobacco leaves used and how well they compliment each other. I made some with Nicaraguan seco, Dominican Criollo98 Viso and Seco, and a Nicaraguan binder leaf were really good. They burned fast without having a ligero leaf, but tasted awesome.

I've had some freshly rolled ones at some stores around town where they use mainly nicaraguan tobaccos and they needed some time to rest.

Thebutcher likes this.
  8. John

John

Depends if you smoke it right away or not. I roll my own cigars so have some experience. You can smoke them within a day or 2 but they go through a sick period after that. I usually let them sit for 2-3 months before I even same anymore though. It makes a huge diff.

9. ATL827

ATL827

That's good insight @Boudie. I've smoked cigars rolled in front of me 3 different times and all 3 were enjoyable. Like @icehog3, the environments were also pleasant so that probably didn't hurt the overall experience.

icehog3 and Boudie like this.
  10. Bruce T.

Bruce T.

Media:
    Albums:
    I just returned from Cuba and you are sooo right. Everything I smoked there tasted better than when I smoke them at home.
    But I doubt that the resort actually brought a guy from Cuba once a week. I think that may have been something they told their guests.

I do roll cigars and I agree that you can smoke them in a day of two of rolling but then you have have to wait a few months to get through the "sick period".

11. icehog3

icehog3 Outlaw Hockey Biker donor5

Distinct possibility.