What's new

Fuente Anejo?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I recently got on it is the #77 shark. Can some of you tell me about it? Or sometime write a review on it. I'd like to know what you think of the cigar. And even more the line itself.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Añejo
Cigar name: Añejo cigars
Wrapper: Connecticut broadleaf maduro (aged 7 years)
Binder: ?? unknown (Dominican)
Filler: Anejo blend
Released: 2000

Notes: From left to right:

1. No.49 (7 5/8" x 49) ....................... MSRP = $8.75 x 25 per box = $218.75
2. No.48 (7" x 48) ............................. MSRP = $8.00 x 25 per box = $200.00
3. No.55 (6" x 55) ............................. MSRP = $9.00 x 25 per box = $225.00
4. No.77 aka "Shark" (5 5/8" x 54) .... MSRP = $8.50 x 20 per box = $170.00
5. No.46 (5 5/8" x 46) ....................... MSRP = $6.50 x 25 per box = $162.50
6. No.50 (5 ¼" x 50) ......................... MSRP = $7.25 x 25 per box = $181.25

MSRP does not include state sales tax, nor state tobacco tax, the latter of which can be quite significant.

The names of the various Añejo vitolas (eg "No.48") are derived from the ring gauge of the cigar in question (except for the "Shark"; see below).

Añejo (which means "aged, refined" in Spanish) cigars were originally released in June 2000 (in a very small batch), and then again in December 2000 due to Fuente being skittish about whether enough Opus X tobacco would be available after the hurricane hit their farm in 1998.

Añejos have a blend of Opus X, Don Carlos, and Hemingway filler, with Connecticut broadleaf maduro wrappers that are cured in cognac barrels after they've been aged.

Contrary to popular belief, all releases of the Añejos have their tobacco aged/cured in cognac barrels for only 6-8 months... the bulk of the aging time is done in tightly packed bales.

The Añejo Shark was actually made and named because of Marvin Shanken (Cigar Aficionado owner). Carlito named it for him because he loved it so much when he gave it to him on a visit to his office. Thus he called it the Shanken Shark.

The "No.77" designation for the Shark comes not from the ring gauge of this cigar, as it does for the other cigars in the Añejo line, but rather from a more amusing reason altogether. Carlito took his kids to Sea World in Orlando, FL, and there noticed that some of the sharks in the tank had two pectoral fins, which looked sort of like two 7's.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Original Release Añejos

From top to bottom:

1. No.50 (5 ¼" x 50) ......................... MSRP = $7.25 x 25 per box = $181.25
2. No.46 (5 5/8" x 46) ....................... MSRP = $6.50 x 25 per box = $162.50
3. No.55 (6" x 55) ............................. MSRP = $9.00 x 25 per box = $225.00
4. No.48 (7" x 48) ............................. MSRP = $8.00 x 25 per box = $200.00
5. No.49 (7 5/8" x 49) ....................... MSRP = $8.75 x 25 per box = $218.75

The original release Añejos have no cedar around them, and have wrappers that were aged in for 7 years (subsequent releases have the wrappers aged for varying time, generally about 3 years, and are all wrapped in cedar). Añejo No.77s (aka, "Sharks") are the exception; they were originally released in early 2001, and no regular release of the Sharks is wrapped in cedar.

Original release Añejos also have no printing on the cellophane; the subsequent releases all have "Reserva Xtra Viejo" printed in gold on the cellophane.

These cigars were originally given out to approximately 100 people at CFC 1999, a year prior to their public debut.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Cameroon wrapped Añejo Shark No.77

Cigar name: Cameroon wrapped Añejo Shark No.77
aka: "Sand Shark"
Vitola: 5 5/8" x 54
Wrapper: Cameroon
Binder: ?? unknown
Filler: Anejo blend
Released: 2006 @ CFC, 11/2006 via Holts
Quantity: ~80 @ CFC, ~2,000 via Holt's "Carlito's Way" sampler
Rarity: 2/10
MSRP: $50 + shipping as part of the "Carlito's Way" sampler (see below)

Notes: This cigar is identical to the regular release Añejo Shark No.77, except that it has a Cameroon wrapper in lieu of the normal Connecticut broadleaf maduro wrapper found on the Añejo line. Comparison photo

These cigars are made on occasion for Cigar Aficionado owner Marvin Shanken, because of his penchant for Cameroon wrapped cigars. The Shark was actually made and named because of Marvin Shanken (Cigar Aficionado owner). Carlito named it for him because he loved it so much when he gave it to him on a visit to his office. Thus he called it the Shanken Shark.

The "No.77" designation comes not from the ring gauge of this cigar, as it does for the other cigars in the Añejo line, but rather from a more amusing reason altogether. Carlito took his kids to Sea World in Orlando, FL, and there noticed that some of the sharks in the tank had two pectoral fins, which looked sort of like two 7's.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0

From top to bottom:

1. Cameroon wrapped Añejo Shark
2. Connecticut broadleaf maduro Añejo Shark

This cigar was also released in November, 2006 as part of the Carlito's Way sampler from Holts.. From their marketing literature:

Carlito's Way Sampler $50.00

This sampler is unbelievable! This could be the single most sensational sampler in the history of cigars! Not only is each cigar here fantastic, but also extremely rare. Let's put it this way…You have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa than you do of finding these 5 marvelous cigars anywhere other than Holt's! The Arturo Fuente Añejo Special Release Cameroon Shark has never even been sold before! We anticipate a full-scale feeding frenzy. Here's the story behind this sampler…

About a month ago, the Holt's Tasting Committee was lounging around Holt's headquarters smoking a boatload of cigars as usual. We had a couple minutes to spare, so we decided to design the ultimate 5-cigar sampler. We put in a call to our main man Carlos Fuente Jr. and bada bing bada boom - he made it happen! Carlito blended and manufactured each of these cigars and is a huge proponent of this 5-cigar selection. Now we're thinking… If Holt's is able to bring you something as outstanding as this sampler, why shop for cigars anyplace else? That's a darn good question. Enjoy while supplies last!

Includes:
1 Arturo Fuente Anejo Special Release Cameroon Shark (5.88 x 64)
1 Arturo Fuente Hemingway Work of Art Maduro (4.88 x 60)
1 Ashton Virgin Sun Grown Wizard (6 x 56)
1 Fuente Fuente Opus X Belicoso XXX (4.63 x 49)
1 Fuente Fuente Opus X Perfecxion X (6.25 x 48)

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the Holy Grails of cigar smokers. Anejos are limited releases, typically twice a year (around Christmas and around Father's Day). They are somewhat like an Opus with an aged maduro wrapper. They are generally excellent FOTB, but become superb with a year or more on them. I tend to prefer them slightly on the dry side, say at 60-65%, for smoking.

They are all desirable, but the Shark tends to be one of the harder to find and more desirable of the Anejo shapes. Can't tell you much more than that, except that they are just about my favorite cigar of all time. JMO, YMMV.

PS: If I had seen Duane's post before writing mine, I would have saved myself the effort. Great post, Duane!

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
thanks Duane, I bought tha sampler and are thinking of buying another on friday, have you smoked some Anejos? What might they be comparable to?

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
They aren't really comparable to any other cigar. If Opus X was dinner, the Anejo would be dessert!

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I was just wondering I couldn't find a review on the Anejo. So I thought I'd see what was up with this line. What is the taste profile like?

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
All I know is I have 3 Anejo Special Release Cameroon Shark sitting and resting and 2 more on the way, and these SOB are very hard to find and come by............