What's new

Fuente Don Carlos - CoM Aug 2016 (Cigar of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

Country of Manufacture: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: African Cameroon
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican

5.125" x 43 - No. 4
5.00" x 50 - Robusto
5.375" x 52 - Belicoso
5.50" x 44 - No. 3
5.75" x 52 - Double Robusto
6.00" x 44/55 - No. 2
6.50" x 50 - Presidente

From arturofuente.com:

Named in honor of its legendary creator and Fuente family patriarch Carlos Fuente, Sr., Arturo Fuente Don Carlos cigars are one of the world's finest smokes. To create this masterpiece, Carlos Fuente, Sr. blended together rare, vintage tobaccos that were hand selected and aged as much as 10 years. These cigars are rich and flavorful, with flawless African Cameroon wrappers, making them as appealing to the eye as they are to the palette. Because of the select tobacco required, these cigars are released in limited quantities and are among the finest cigars rolled at Tabacalera A. Fuente in the Dominican Republic. In every way possible, Carlos Fuente, Sr. strives to attain the ultimate in rich flavor, flawless wrapper color and superior construction in every cigar that bears his name.

A rich, African Cameroon wrapper over vintage Dominican filler give way to flavors both complex and refined. The slightly sweet flavor produced by the select African Cameroon wrapper is in perfect balance with the savory aroma. Flawless construction, a hallmark of Tabacalera A. Fuente, ensures an even burn and smooth draw, unquestionably among the world's most elite cigars.

"My dream wasn't to be the biggest," says Don Carlos, "just the best."​

Prior CoM reviews can be found HERE

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
179   0   0
20160826_145729.jpg
Appearance/construction- Great firmness from head to foot. Medium brown in color with small viens. Typical cameroon texture, I've seen worse and better.
Draw/burn- Great draw and burn. A standard to be benchmarked to others imo.
Flavor/Aroma- A bit below medium in strength and body, but medium in flavor

1/3- Faint leather, cedar,hay,spice,oak with a great sweet spice on a lasting finish and pleasant sweet spice aroma.
2/3-same with a bit of nuttiness and carmel, and added oak in the retro
3/3- same but carmel is gone, now with faint floral added in the aroma.
Burn time- 80 minutes
Overall- This cigar holds a special place for me as it was one of the first two wow cigars to me. But time passes and sometimes preferences change, I remember my first experience with a #3 differently then vs today. At the time I felt it was a stronger smoke(amongst mostly mild cigar offerings in the late 80's early 90's), with much more and great leather aroma. Now it's a very nice change of pace cigar, and am glad it's still available. Thanks Clint!

Respect to the legacy Carlos Fuente Sr

Drink was an unsweetened tea I enjoy.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
39   0   0

forgot to post this review! it's been a while since ive had one. this past #FuenteFriday was a good a day as any.

paired with a Wig Splitter stout - thanks,@FullyArmedFISD !
cold draw: i get some serious woody and earthy tones and a hint of "plain cookies" - like the cookies you get in the big blue tin. just a little bit sweet.

first third: very smokey. there is much more sweetness than i expected. it still has plenty of woody and earthy notes, as well as some nuttiness.

middle third: the cigar is starting to cone. no matter how much time i put between puffs (some at almost 4 minutes) i cant get this to even out. oh well... the woody and earthy notes are still there, along with leather. the nuttiness ramps up, while the sweetness drops a bit. there is now also a black pepper note, but not much.

final third: similar to the final third gets sweeter and nuttier. the earth and wood notes seem to drop considerably to me, and is replaced by more pepper and some chocolate, which i didnt notice during the front or middle.

man this was a tasty stick. however, i think these are priced a bit too high at the $10-12 price point (retail). id reach for these more often if they were in the 7-8$ range.

Last edited: