What's new

Fun with Moka pots

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'd been itching for the next step with my coffee affliction but wasn't ready to drop the big bucks on an espresso machine so awhile back I got a stainless steel Moka pot to tide me over. They are known as "stovetop" espresso makers but the resulting brew cannot really be called espresso. It's stronger and very different from drip coffee though. I also got a stovetop milk steamer/frother at the same time so I could make some milk drinks with it. I tried them out when I first got them and then got busy trying to finish my house and kind of forgot about them.
This week I've been fooling around with them and have started to really look forward to my after work coffee. I brew a full (6 tasse) Moka pot and drink half of it straight up and then froth some milk to mix 50/50 with the other half. It's damn good! Since it's not espresso and I also don't know the proportions of coffee to milk for cappacino I don't know what to call it but I like it a lot.
Does anybody else use a Moka pot? How do you use yours?

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Nope, but I've seen them before. I was tempted to buy one a few years ago but opted for a Turkish coffee pot instead. Hard to get down right, but when you do...gee-zus it's strong.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I love my moka pot! It produces some really intense cups. For a while it split time with my French press, but I reach for the moka pot more and more.
Whenever I roast a new bean or roast a known bean to a new degree, I always try it a few times with the French press, but for regular good ol coffee drinkin' the moka pot can't be beat.
Moka pots are definitely NOT espresso machines (they don't produce near enough pressure), but they make a damn strong (and flavorful without getting too bitter) cup.
They're relatively inexpensive, harder to break than a French press, and a whole hell of a lot easier to use than an ibrik (for Turkish coffee).

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Resurrecting a dead thread here, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for using a moka pot. Everything I brew comes out way too bitter.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I have two Moka Post.

Big one and a one cupper.
Love em both.

Sean,
Tips,
Buy beans ground for the Moka try that one out.

Dont tamp it ever, just fill loosely.
DONT OVER FILL!

Fill the water up to the screw line and no more/less.
Take off the heat as soon as it is done!

Now if these dont work and it is still too bitter heres the final adjustment.
Add a little hot water to thin it out.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Resurrecting a dead thread here, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for using a moka pot. Everything I brew comes out way too bitter.

I'm a big fan of the Moka pot.

The key to good Moka pot coffee is to pre-boil the water before you add the coffee grounds, that way the coffee isn't burned. Make sure your grind is uniform and you are using fresh coffee. And I always say pack it as much as you can.... if you have a uniform grind, packing it tight will only help with a better extraction. If you pack it tight and your grind is all over the place you will have a bad extraction.

I usually make mine like 'cuban coffee' and drink it black with a decent amount of sugar. I usually don't use the Moka when I'm being a coffee snob, but rather when I just want a punch in the face.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I don't have a Moka, but we do have an Aeropress, and it's amazing: http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

The coffee never comes out bitter, and it's a lot like espresso. I make my wife cappuccinos so she doesn't spend all my money at SBUX, also been making iced coffees for myself now that it's hot.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I don't have a Moka, but we do have an Aeropress, and it's amazing: http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

The coffee never comes out bitter, and it's a lot like espresso. I make my wife cappuccinos so she doesn't spend all my money at SBUX, also been making iced coffees for myself now that it's hot.
I've got one of those too! I absolutely love it. I find myself buying up those whenever I need a gift for a coffee-lover. Great for college too, easy to clean and quick if I'm running late for class. Was just going to post something about my Aero, but you beat me to it!

:applause:

-Dave

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My everyday setup is a Raccilio Rocky Grinder & Silvia espresso machine. 95% of the time I make Americanos. I'm a home roaster so I like to change things up sometimes with an Aeropress, Bodom vacuum pot or French press. Granted the grind for each is very different.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hmmm...I've never heard of this Moka pot thing. I use my K-cups for basic morning brew and my french press when I have a little more time to enjoy my coffee. I'll have to do some googling now

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I have two Moka Post.

Big one and a one cupper.
Love em both.

Sean,
Tips,
Buy beans ground for the Moka try that one out.

Dont tamp it ever, just fill loosely.
DONT OVER FILL!

Fill the water up to the screw line and no more/less.
Take off the heat as soon as it is done!

Now if these dont work and it is still too bitter heres the final adjustment.
Add a little hot water to thin it out.
Thanks for advice!

Do you notice a difference between the two sizes? I have a big one, but my buddy has a little one and that guy can make almost espresso-like coffee through his, where as mine always comes out slightly burnt/bitter.

I think I am going to try vivalanation734's pre-boil trick, too.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I've got one of those too! I absolutely love it. I find myself buying up those whenever I need a gift for a coffee-lover. Great for college too, easy to clean and quick if I'm running late for class. Was just going to post something about my Aero, but you beat me to it!

:applause:

-Dave

I might need to get one of these for my office!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a moka pot and absolutely love it. I mostly make Cuban Coffee with it though. Here is how I do it.

1. Fill the moka pot with water to right below the valve.
2. Fill with ground espresso (I usually take the filter out and then fill it up over the coffee tin so I can create a mound of coffee and then scrape it off even with a knife or something so I get that nice even filled to the top but not overflowing fill. I hear this is a make or break for a good pot of coffee but I have never noticed that much of a difference when I had a bad fill).
3. Put the pot on the stove on low heat.
4. While the pot is brewing take a measuring cup and put two-three spoonfuls of sugar in it.
5. When the coffee starts to brew to the top take it off when it barely has any brewed.
6. Pour about a spoonful of the coffee into the measuring cup with the sugar.
7. Put the pot back on the burner and let it finish brewing while you do the next step.
8. Stir the sugar and coffee mix until it is a cream colored paste.
9. Once the coffee is done brewing pour it into the measuring cup as you stir. This will create a 'fake' cream on top and it will be kind of frothy. Make sure you stir it in well and then enjoy.

It sounds like alot of steps but in reality it only takes me about 2-3 minutes of waiting and 1-2 minutes of 'work'. Try it out atleast once and see if you like it. You can also search on YouTube for videos. Just type in 'How to make Cuban Coffee'.