What's new

Funny how life can change

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As you know I'm recently, and for the first time unemployed. I do have an opportunity pending, but now there is another.

My wife is one of 2 "finalists" for a high paying (nearly 6 figure) hospital position in Rome Georgia. We've never lived anywhere but Charlotte so this would be a biggie. My daughter is off to college next year and my son is out of school so there's not a real reason to stay.

But I have to say, wow, chugging along day to day for 20+ years than and then a roller coaster ride.

We are discussing moving if she's offered the position but with a house to sell and so forth it's not going to be easy. I'd rather stay and work this other job, if he'd just make it official!

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It comes at you fast and furious doesn't it? A big change like that can be tough to adjust to but sometimes it is just what's needed in life. Either way I am sure it will all work out for you brother. Praying either way!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Do you think with your head or your heart....tough decision either way my friend. I'm sure you will make the best decision for you and your family.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
How has the stuff with your pending job offer been going? You mentioned that it's an entirely new field, but do you like it so far? Realistically, what kind of potential does it have as a career?

Between you and your wife, which one of you "wants" to work? My fiancee and I both work fantastic jobs right now but we have the understanding that my job, more or less, has priority if something were to require relocation or the like. It's nothing over "who should work" but I am in a field that I have pursued since high school and she's working "just to work."

Uprooting from Charlotte can be tough, but maybe you can give your pending job a 6 month window while your wife tries out the job in Georgia. That would give you time to put your house on the market and get a feel for selling it and also allow you to see where both jobs are taking you and your wife. My Uncle owned an extremely profitable contracting company in Florida most of his life but when everything crashed he was forced to change his whole career and start as a government intern in Quantico, VA. His wife stayed in Florida this whole time and it's been very, very tough. However, after 2 years, he's nearing the end of his internship and he's already a GS-12 and earning a comfortable living that he can take with him back to Florida.

So, there's lots of options and they don't all have to be "this job or that job." Keep us in the loop. I'll continue to pray for you and your family.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has the stuff with your pending job offer been going? You mentioned that it's an entirely new field, but do you like it so far? Realistically, what kind of potential does it have as a career?

Between you and your wife, which one of you "wants" to work? My fiancee and I both work fantastic jobs right now but we have the understanding that my job, more or less, has priority if something were to require relocation or the like. It's nothing over "who should work" but I am in a field that I have pursued since high school and she's working "just to work."

Uprooting from Charlotte can be tough, but maybe you can give your pending job a 6 month window while your wife tries out the job in Georgia. That would give you time to put your house on the market and get a feel for selling it and also allow you to see where both jobs are taking you and your wife. My Uncle owned an extremely profitable contracting company in Florida most of his life but when everything crashed he was forced to change his whole career and start as a government intern in Quantico, VA. His wife stayed in Florida this whole time and it's been very, very tough. However, after 2 years, he's nearing the end of his internship and he's already a GS-12 and earning a comfortable living that he can take with him back to Florida.

So, there's lots of options and they don't all have to be "this job or that job." Keep us in the loop. I'll continue to pray for you and your family.
Agree with all of the above. Rome is gorgeous, particularly in the fall. That whole area is like taking a ride up 77 to Statesville and beyond. Rolling hills, getting bigger as you get closer to TN (go figure) and really nice people. If you move down here, and if you have a different favorite college football team than UGA (in that area particularly) I wouldn't even talk about it. Them're fightin' words down here.

Having come from around the Charlotte area, to the Atlanta area, and scouting around a lot, I can say that the locale won't be your biggest culture shock.

Good luck with everything.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Funny how I just don't get on the computer much. Too bad I can't access the forums through xbox, lol.

As to the current offer, the guy has gone silent. I saw him on Sunday and he said he'd call but hasn't. He didn't answer texts for a few days then sent me a brief "phones been broken just got it back" but no answer to any of the texts I'd sent. I'm going to email him shortly.

Rome does look nice and we've always wanted to have a place in the hills. Right now we are thinking if I get this other job and it does well we will stay.

As to who wants to work, I'd love to and always wanted to be the bread winner but after she got her 4 year degree in Health Information Management last year her pay went way up as have offers. My income has been on the decline for several years though. I've been pleased that my wife hasn't been hounding me about finding a job. She said she knows I've had a long time working a job I hated and wanted me to get me head clear and do what I WANT to do, know matter what the income.

and one of the saddest things, the only cigars I've been able to buy were the ones I sent in my Secret Santa! (and I've felt bad because it was a really lame box compared to others I've seen.)