What's new

G.L. Pease - Jackknife Plug - PToM Jan 2015 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

JACKKNIFE PLUG
Brand:
G.L. Pease
Blend Type: VA/Bur
Contents: Dark Fired Kentucky, Virginia
Flavoring: None
Cut: Plug
Packaging: 2oz Tin

"[Introducd in January, 2011], the first blend in the New World Collection from G.L. Pease, JackKnife Plug is an all natural blend of dark-fired Kentucky leaf, and ripe, red Virginia tobaccos, layered on a central core of golden flue-cured leaf, providing deep, earthy flavors with a hint of bright sweetness. The tobaccos are pressed and matured in cakes before being cut into 2oz blocks. JackKnife is a stout blend. The dark-fired leaf adds a subtle smokiness and a subtle finish reminiscent of dark chocolate, while the Virginia tobaccos provide a sturdy backbone.
While other producers would simply mix the leaf before pressing, my choice to separate the dark-fired and red virginias from the core of bright is not just an aesthetic one. I wanted the bright's flavours to retain some of their clarity, mingling on the palate with the deeper tastes, not in the plug. Producing it this way is more difficult, but the result makes it worthwhile. The visual difference is not as obvious as it would be if the cakes were not given time to age, as the tobaccos all darken during the fermentation, but the subtle contribution to the overall taste profile remains.
Slice it thick and rub it out for a ribbon cut, thin for a shag, or chop it into cubes. The choice is yours." -Greg Pease

Prior PToM reviews can be found HERE

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
To spice things up a bit this year, I'm going to start doing a little giveaway each month.
For each person that reviews the PToM, I'll add a half ounce sample to the pot, up to a max of 2oz. total. Then, at the end of the month, I'll draw a winner from the lot who posted reviews and send them their winnings. Just a little juice to hopefully boost participation. Reviews don't need to be in any special format or super in-depth, just let us know what you thought of the PToM, what you liked, what you didn't. Maybe what it reminded you of. Pictures are great, too. Just share your thoughts, enjoy, and have fun.
Cool draws & sweet smokes, Brothers!

No January reviews, so no winner...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I trimmed it and left the plug out to dry in my baccy coolidor for a week with my other baccy samples, then jarred it, no mold growth was recurrent

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Guys- really----- don't smoke tobacco that has mold- I've done it in the past too but baccy is too cheap to risk your health. Just get some new.
The spores are there and can be hazardous. I've done it, but when you think about it- doesn't make much sense.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's Feb but I'll still post my review once I'm smoking again. I'm at the tail end of this cold and I'm smoking tomorrow regardless because the pipe club is getting together. No need to wait for me for the monthly drawing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we are well out of January, but better late than never, right?

In presentation, JKP is an interesting and dense brick of tobacco. I cut about 1/8" off the brownie and rub to flake. The tin note has a deep slightly sweet raisin scent.

On initial light I found JKP to be a bit harsh. Not over the top like Old Joe Krantz, but a tobacco with an edge. The roughly broken flake burns well needing few relights. After a little while the harshness of the smoke backs off but this is still a stout smoke. I have a hard time picking out any individual flavors in JKP. There is a tanginess. There is pepper on the snork. Overall, the blend shouts from the hills "I AM TOBACCO!". JKP is good, but if you are looking for a complex blend then look elsewhere. If you're looking for a bold smoke, with a no nonsense tobacco flavor, and a decent nic hit, then look no further than JackKnife Plug.