What's new

Garage Door Issues for shop/smoking room with my HOA

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten my plans for my home approved by the HOA, but they have issues with my shop which will include my smoking room. The issue is they don't want the garage door facing the street. The lot is pie shaped and there is no good way to have the door on the other two sides. I was wondering about a door that didn't look like a garage door. Thinking about something like French doors, but figured this group could come up with a better idea.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
You could probably disguise it and make it look nice enough they won’t have a problem with it. Maybe install some siding, or brick veneer on the door to make it blend into the wall. Maybe some windows. If concealing it from view is not an option, then dressing it up is the way to go.

Personally, I hate when people build nice houses and put the big ugly garage front and center. They should be set back, side entry, or else a nice designer door that complements the rest of the structure.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that’s rough.

We just made an offer on our retirement home and I made sure I wasn’t in an HOA community.
We have a covenant but no fees. It’s more of a tax district in 2 neighborhoods that are mostly 55+. I live on the one street that allows younger people but most homes are 2 bedrooms or smaller 3 bedrooms.

We can’t have fences, that’s a town thing because of migratory wildlife. But we can have a shed or any structure like that in our yards. Not even a gazebo but we see other houses, from the back so it’s a decent thing about avoiding eyesores. You have big basements to do with what you like.

Still we avoided gated HOA communities like the plague. I looked a developing areas of Southern Delaware and most are HOA governed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Believe me, living in a neighborhood that has evolved without restrictions can be just as bad. You should be able to maintain property values with reasonable codes. I think the first restriction I would enact if I'm ever anointed would be "If Boudie is sitting on his porch smoking a cigar you can't start the damn leaf blower"!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a tax abated wildlife preservation, so no to the fence. I’ve offered a glass door that looks like French doors. I knew about the restrictions going in so I’m not mad just looking for a solution. In the central Texas area there are three kinds of properties. Over 100 acres, .5 to 25 acres with deed restrictions, and ones filled with either meth heads, meth labs or both.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We picked close neighbors because then there are no real secrets. In other suburbs I have lived in or small towns nobody knows the neighbor other than right next door or across the street.

We lived in an area where clandestine meth labs were everywhere, just above Gig Harbor and Pierce County where Tacomca is. We lived in Kitsap County across from Seattle. But if you took the Narrows bridge over from Tacoma you saw all sorts of meth freaks. Back in the “Cops” days it was constantly on Pierce County, WA and a few counties in Missouri. Luckily laws changed and the meth thing headed South.

I’ve heard that Atlanta is one of the biggest hubs for ICE meth from Mexican super labs.

Strangely enough meth was never big in Western NY, but crack cocaine is still a plague of our inner cities and all the gun violence save strange goings on in the burbs or rural towns a bit farther out.

I want rules. The backpack blowers need better sound dampening. Those things make unmuffled mini-bikes from youth, no brakes either, seem quiet. Way more harsh than most motorcycles as we have a motorcycle shop that’s way less annoying than the lawn nazis of a covenanted townhome neighborhood directly South of my backyards. It’s included in their HOA fees. They mow and blow in the rain, at 8am on Sundays.

Yep, some rules are necessary as is some common sense. Instead of fees you will get sued by your tax district. Stick rather than carrot. Too many people fertilizing more than once a year which is filling out drainage ponds with hummus and making huge algae blooms in the Great Lakes.

I have grape vine rows in my backyard. The initial builders were upset but my neighbors love them along with the raspberries. I just not a weed nazi as I eat the grapes or make wine and jelly with them. Minimal spraying for Japanese beetles and for powdery mildew. We do have to dump heavy insecticide in the front as we have an Ash tree and the invasion of voter beetles from Canada is a big threat.

Have you though about renting a 10” front opening storage unit to use as a shop? I know people that do it for automotive or motorcycle purposes. Cheaper to rent and engine hoist than to buy and keep it taking up space.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the reasons we bought in this neighborhood was they allow up to 4 buildings, most only allow 2 and a few only allow 1. Talks have been going well and a solution that is agreeable to everyone is close.