What's new

Gas prices, or as they say other places, Petrol prices?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The News Media saying zero, so I am asking people out of Arizona? Have you seen the price in your part of the world soar like an F- 35 learning the runway?

Seems we have something going on that is not good, 30 days ago I was paying $260'ish for 92 Octant. Last weekend it went to $3.05, today it was $3.53.

This only an Arizona thing or you guys & gals in other part of the USA, or World see prices at the pump JUMP??????

GAS WAR??

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I paid $2.19 for regular unleaded and premium was around $2.49. Missouri usually has some of the cheapest gas in the nation. Haven’t seen it move more than .15 in the last month.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Well, high gas prices are caused by high crude oil prices as it accounts for 72% of the price of gasoline. The remaining 28% comes from distribution, refining, and taxes, which are more stable. When oil prices rise, you can expect to see it at the gas pump six weeks later.

For example, oil prices hit a 30-month high this past January. OPEC's (The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries) members agreed to keep production cuts through 2018 so they will remain above $62/barrel through 2018. As a result, gas prices will average $2.74/gallon from now through September of this year which is higher than the $2.41/gallon average last year.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well it could all be a reaction to political crisis in the Middle East, and uncertainty about the unstable in the region. Me upset, I have it when gas move 50 CENT/Gal. All of a sudden.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Well it could all be a reaction to political crisis in the Middle East, and uncertainty about the unstable in the region. Me upset, I have it when gas move 50 CENT/Gal. All of a sudden.
Not necessarily, Bruce. The main 3 things that cause the majority of gas increases: supply and demand, commodity traders and when the value of the dollar declines. Political unrest can impact it but it's not as common of a reason as most people think.

Like most of the things you buy, supply and demand affect both gas and oil prices. When demand is greater than supply, prices rise. For example, U.S. shale oil producers increased the oil supply in 2014. Gas prices fell to their lowest levels in five years. But that shale oil boom reversed when low prices put many producers out of business. Additionally, seasonal demand also affects oil and gas prices. You can expect gas prices to rise every spring. That's because oil futures traders know demand for gas rises in the summer as families go on vacation. They start buying oil futures contracts in the spring in anticipation of that price rise.

Commodities traders also cause high gas prices. They buy oil and gasoline at the commodities futures markets. Those markets allow companies to buy contracts of gasoline for future delivery at an agreed-upon price. But most traders have no intention of taking ownership of the gasoline. Instead, they plan to sell the contract for a profit. Since 2008, both gas and oil prices are affected more by the ups and downs in these futures contracts.
The price depends on what buyers think the price of gas or oil will be in the future. When traders think gas or oil prices will be high, they bid them up even higher. In this way, commodities traders create a self-fulfilling prophecy. This leads to an asset bubble. Unfortunately, the one who pays for this bubble is you and I.

Gas and oil prices also rise when the value of the dollar declines. That's because oil contracts are all denominated in dollars. That's why oil prices rose between 2002 and 2014. The dollar lost 40% of its value during that time. Oil prices fell in 2015 and 2016. That's because a strong dollar allowed OPEC members to make more money while keeping supply constant. The Energy Information Administration forecasts that oil prices will remain in the same range through March 2018. That means gas prices won't go much higher. But some commodities traders think the price could go as high as $68 a barrel but it's unlikely. Shale oil producers will start coming back online at current prices.

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Not to continue beating a dead horse but to back up the top 3 reasons I listed above, here is a quick rundown of when prices were high:

• August 2017, average gas prices rose from $2.35/gallon to $2.49/gallon. Hurricane Harvey wiped out 5% of the nation's oil and gas production. The Department of Energy released 500,000 barrels of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. By September 5th, gas prices had returned to normal.
  • November 2016, gas prices rose when OPEC cut production. Members agreed to reduce supply by 1.2 million barrels/day by January 2017. In response, traders bid oil prices to $50+ a barrel in December 2016. That's double the 13-year low of $26.55/b in January 2016. Gas prices rose for 14 consecutive days after the meeting and the national average of $2.21/gallon was up 20 cents compared to the same date the year before.
  • August 2015, gas prices rose from an average of $2.58/gallon to $2.62/gallon. This spike was due to an outage at BP's Whiting refinery in Indiana, making prices in the Midwest higher than average. In California, the price at the pump increased to almost $4/gallon in July 2015. Midwest refinery problems sent California's oil elsewhere. Since it doesn't have major pipelines from other regions, California had to wait for tankers with imported oil to arrive. A similar thing happened in 2012. It was just a temporary regional problem.
  • April 2014, the price for domestic oil rose to $101/barrel. The domestic oil price is benchmarked by the reference grade, West Texas Intermediate. Oil prices rose because new pipelines from the Cushing, Oklahoma storage hub lowered inventories to the lowest level since November 2009. In addition, the price of imported oil, a grade called the North Sea Brent, rose to $110/barrel. @SurfnSafari, this was caused by political unrest in Ukraine, Nigeria, and Iraq. The Energy Information Administration expected average national prices to remain at $3.60/gallon until May.
  • Early 2013, Iran started war games near the Strait of Hormuz. Nearly 20% of the world's oil flows through this narrow checkpoint bordering Iran and Oman. If Iran threatened to close the Strait, it would have raised the fear of a dramatic decline in oil supply. In anticipation of such a crisis, oil traders bid up the price, which reached $118.90/barrel in February. Gas prices soon followed, rising to $3.85 by the end of February. They rose again in August that year because oil prices hit a 15-month high that summer. That spike was created by political unrest in Egypt.
  • September 2012, prices rose to an average high of $4.50/gallon in California. That was because of supply shortage from two causes. The first was a power outage at the Exxon refinery in Torrance, CA. The power failure was caused by a heat wave. The second was a shutdown of a major north-south oil pipeline. These came on top of East Coast refinery shutdowns due to regular seasonal maintenance.
  • August 2012, prices were high as a result of Hurricane Isaac, which hit the U.S. Gulf Coast region on August 28, 2012. In anticipation of the Category I hurricane, refineries in the area shut down production. As a result, crude oil production lost 1.3 million barrels per day. This caused the average national price of gas to jump in one day, from $0.05 to $3.80 on Wednesday. Prices in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois rose even further, as the storm closed a pipeline that feeds the Midwest.
  • February 2012, concerns about a potential military action, by either Israel or even the United States, against Iran caused high oil prices. Second, some U.S. oil refineries were closing, according to an EIA report. Third, oil and gas prices tend to rise every spring, in anticipation of increased demand during the summer driving vacation season. As a result, the prices for a gallon of gasoline hit the benchmark $3.50 by mid-February, two weeks earlier than it did in 2011. By mid-March, the national average had jumped to $3.87/gallon. That's because the price of oil reached its benchmark of $100 a barrel two weeks earlier as well. Oil went on to hit $109.77 by the end of February, before dropping slightly to $107.40 in mid-March.
  • April 2011, fears about unrest in Libya and Egypt sent oil prices up to $113/barrel.
  • May 2011, as oil prices dropped, the price at the pump stayed high. Why? Commodities traders were concerned about refinery closures due to the Mississippi River floods.
  • Summer 2009, the price at the pump again rose, despite the recession, which decreased demand. Commodities traders were the reason for both. Again, prices also rise during the summer vacation season, as driving increases. Finally, gas and oil prices also increase whenever there is concern about surging demand from China and India or a curtailment of oil supply.
  • 2008, gas prices rose to $4.17 a gallon as oil prices skyrocketed to $143.68/barrel, even though demand and supply were fairly constant. During the 2008 financial crisis, commodities traders drove up the price of oil, even though supply increased and demand fell. The EIA cited an increased flow of investment money into commodities markets. In other words, money that used to be invested in real estate or the global stock market was instead being invested in oil futures.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well almost a $1.00 price jump at the pump put fear in me, honeslty it "gas" was not long ago the same for long time. We were continsly at $2.50/Gallon-ish.

Now over $3.50/Gal.

LIke I said no News Coverage, people at the Gas Station had no explaination.

So I asked the ? As we have member from all over.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Lots of times if one of the closer to you refineries shuts down for a time you experience spikes in pricing. It happened a lot to me in WA I remember paying 4.25 a gal sometimes.
Edit: but here in Texas like 2.11 for regular.

Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Reg 87 is around $2.77-$2.89 a gallon, premium 93 is $3.34-$3.49 a gallon in Metro Detroit
On a side note airline ticket prices are rising as well due to a 20% increase in jet fuel, tickets from Michigan to Florida were in the low $300’s last week, this week they’re pushing $450 departing December 29, 2018

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It's a good question to ask. I just wanted to provide different insights from what I do for a living to possibly put a different light on the subject.

Well I thiought you wore a Blue Vest, and put Smily Faces Stickers on Kids all day. LOL

But all kidding aside you did a good job of Splaining.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What do you do? I’ve been MIA for too long haha.

I read through and thought damn he sounds like he knows the industry...

The wife unit was a futures trader up until about a month ago. They do also take options to protect against price drops :D

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Retirement is doing what you want to do, when you want to do it. Everyone once in a while an old client calls, offers a day or two's work. Them money is too good to say no to, but I have the option to say no if I choose.