What's new

Get your Shelves and Drawers here!

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Gents,

This is John Nelson. (About John's work HERE)

His contact is: johnswoodworks@outlook.com

He is now taking orders, so hit him up.

John is a retired medical devices engineer, tool maker and master craftsman. He makes some of the finest desktop and cabinet style humidors I've ever seen. I approached Jon recently about offering shelves and drawers as so many of my fellow BOTL were posting about problems (lead-time, imperfect communication and finished product quality) with their current accessories provider. We talked for a long time, (i've been corresponding with him for the better part of a year) and finally I brought him three sets of shelves and drawers. One shelf and drawer from a Newair 280 and a shelf and drawer, plus 2 "finish-front" drawers which were supplied by Clint (cgraunke).

I went to John's workshop (at his house), showed him what people were receiving elsewhere and asked him if he thought he could do better. I received a resounding "yes". So, I ordered one shelf and one drawer to fit a 281. I left everything there for him to look at and improve upon and what I received a week later (he had them ready in just a couple days) is superior in my judgement.

Here are some photos (below) comparing his work to what I'd received with my Air-n-Water purchase. The lighter shaded products are from John and are "fresh" - not-yet seasoned.

281 Shelf from John compared to a 280 shelf I received elsewhere:

More:

I paid $42 for the drawer and $23 for the shelf (i picked them up) and based on the what I believe is superior quality, his dedication to delivering in a finite amount of time and attention to detail, the value of the products I received exceeded my expectations (and I'll be ordering more immediately)

I like John's work, I like his work ethic and I like that he is passionate about doing things right and he's meticulous. He's not interested in taking piles of orders... because he wants to deliver product in a reasonable amount of time. Oh, and if you're ordering unfinished drawer front (that's all I use), you won't pay anything up front. You just order, he puts your name on the list and builds. When you're order is ready, he'll email you a electronic invoice (poopal), you pay the invoice online ...and receive tracking.

John says he'll take orders for 5 full sets of drawers per month, and once he reaches that he'll hang the "closed" sign in the window until he can take another order.

Special drawer fronts:

He can do anything ...and I've seen his finished work - wedge, burl, curly, rosewood, flame maple - you name it and he can do it (if the materials can be had).

Lastly, I'll be bringing him a 281 wine refrigerator this coming week and a 280 the week after. He'll be dissecting both to see how he can make storage better.

His contact information is posted above. Please feel free to contact him with your woodworking requests.

Attachments

Last edited:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Can't wait! Thanks for doing this Joel.

Would love to finally give my money to a competent, respectable drawer maker. This is very exciting.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
This looks great. I'm currently in no need of this (my drawer and shelves from another place suffice fine for now), but this sounds like a guy you want working for you. The drawers look fantastic and the quality is superb.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
If this is the thread where we place the order, I require:
2 drawers for the 280 (1 with the false front for the bottom drawer).
Thx Joel!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Fantastic fit. If I didn't already have drawers I would be all over this. Maybe when the wife lets me expand... Ha ha. I bet he could make some awesome pipe racks and cellar boxes/organizers though... Hmmmmm.....

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Is he interested in doing one off customs?

Ive been thinking about getting someone to build me a drawer that I would install at the bottom of my cabinet.. Ive got the dimensions and specs.....

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Is he interested in doing one off customs?

Ive been thinking about getting someone to build me a drawer that I would install at the bottom of my cabinet.. Ive got the dimensions and specs.....
He can do anything. However you know as I do that a "one off" custom piece will be more expensive than regular production pieces.

Best to inquire.

As soon as I confirm the contact info he wants everyone to use, I will post it.

Regarding communication:

he prefers email (much as I do). The reason is you then have a written form of communication that you can go back and refer to. Not having to do so from memory is often times better for us old folks.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I won't likely need a new set of drawers in my lifetime, but for those gents just now thinking about a wineador.... this is awesome.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Since I've gotten ZERO responses to several email to another builder and am currently sitting at the 14 week mark I think I may just try to get a refund and get a nicer set built from what seems like a much nicer and better source! Thanks for putting this together and I'll be anxiously awaiting that contact info.