What's new

Getting burnt out on one cigar?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some of the BOTL have had experience with this, I'm kind of at a loss.

Lately as I smoke through more and more of a single box the flavor profile of the cigar loses its wow factor and seems to taste duller. I should mention to that I don't have a huge collection to where I can put any number away for a while.

It seems that after the 5th or 6th smoke the cigar doesn't seem to be as good. Looking at my tasting notes it's all the same more or less though. Sometimes I worry it's my conditions (temp is fluctuating a bit due to weather) but other singles and fivers all smoke great.

Anyone else notice this from their own experience? Getting burnt out on a box of smokes? Hopefully soon I'll be able to upgrade my storage and stash size but I'm the meantime ide like to get the most out of what I got.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massachusetts or Grand Cayman depending on weather
I used to lay in box or two at a time and smoke through those before restocking, but I found I had a similar experience as yours. I would just get tired of the same taste over and over. Now I lay in a wider variety of sticks, usually 5ers, and almost never smoke the same cigar twice in a row. I find I enjoy smoking a lot more now. I know a lot of people who have a "rotation" of cigars they are currently smoking. Another great thing about this hobby is trying out new cigars to see if they should be added to the rotation. Now the only time I buy a box is if there is a good deal going on and it's a cigar I really like. Even then I will still rotate rather than smoke through the box.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. One of the main reasons I buy boxes is, like boudie said, to save money. Fivers always seemed one of the most expensive options next to singles to me. And I've been doing way more smoking than buying lately, but that should be changing real soon.

Until I get a bigger stash though I think 5ers/splits are the way it's gonna be. Good thing there are a million+1 NCs out there:cigar:.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I buy boxes, but i have many boxes so i dont smoke the same smoke too often. If you only have a small humidor(like say a 50 count desktop) then its better to buy 5ers, or do box splits! But if you have the space, and are willing to spend more to save more boxes are great and give you the opportunity to experience cigars through many different stages of age! I have like 8 or 9 boxes or something and like a bunch of loose sticks lol.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
another problem you may have is smoking frequency.
Many NCs are so strong that you are effectively anesthetizing your palate.
It can take a day or two to get back to normal.
I used to smoke two or more NCs daily,and I noticed after a while I could not taste them anymore.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another problem you may have is smoking frequency.
Many NCs are so strong that you are effectively anesthetizing your palate.
It can take a day or two to get back to normal.
I used to smoke two or more NCs daily,and I noticed after a while I could not taste them anymore.
Your 100% right. I smoke way too much, one of the reasons I smoke small cigars. Still though I definitely notice a difference.

When it gets to bad I notice it especially on the retrohale, there's like a washed out burnt flavor through the nose. If I slow down on frequency it goes away.

Thanks for the input

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
there is another problem you have right there.
retrohaling will keep your sinus and palate over exposed.
I have never retrohaled as a rule, it seems to be a recent habit.
To me it does not impart any benefit.

ymmv...…...:cat:

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What is it they say....variety being the spice of life? 45 years later and it's rotation rotation and rotation. Our tastes can get blase' at times and like most things we need to mix it up...and if my wife finds out about that kind of mindset I could be in some real trouble. Buy 5'rs and try them over a course of 6 months...journal your experience as to how they taste over a period of time and when you hit good ones then buy em by the box.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like retrohaling but I definitely slowed down compared to before . To me it adds a bit of flavor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to the point where I wanted to try other stuff, so I stopped purchasing whole boxes. Much like the preceding advice from other BOTL, I started on 5'ers, and samplers. Recently, I also began clubs (Stogiebird.com, Cigar Federation cigar of the month club, and Privada club). This way, I get to try different sticks. Im enjoying it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massachusetts or Grand Cayman depending on weather
Another thought that just came to mind... I get together a few times a year with some old smoking buddies who have spread out across the country. We each bring a bunch of our favorite cigars and do an exchange (and smoke a bunch of them as well). It's a way to diversify your stash, especially if you have only one or two cigars in your stock, and get turned on to some new cigars. So if you have some smoking buddies, see what you can trade. You can also look for traders online as well. I've done that for cigars I just have gotten tired off - even top of line ones.

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I never smoke the same thing back to back,I might go several days without repeating a cigar.
and there are the once a week /month/ quarter sticks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought that just came to mind... I get together a few times a year with some old smoking buddies who have spread out across the country. We each bring a bunch of our favorite cigars and do an exchange (and smoke a bunch of them as well). It's a way to diversify your stash, especially if you have only one or two cigars in your stock, and get turned on to some new cigars. So if you have some smoking buddies, see what you can trade. You can also look for traders online as well. I've done that for cigars I just have gotten tired off - even top of line ones.
At one point or another I have 15-35 different cigar brands, but i do like boxes. Don't know anyone who smokes cigars(at least like we do lol), but I'll check out the online trading.

Sometimes I wondered if maybe it was my storage, main reason I made this thread. Thought as the smokes sat in ny tupperdors they went bad, because they didn't taste as good as when I opened the box.

But after the Brothers responses I'm convinced I just need to mix it up more.

Thanks for the help everyone

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
At one point or another I have 15-35 different cigar brands, but i do like boxes. Don't know anyone who smokes cigars(at least like we do lol), but I'll check out the online trading.

Sometimes I wondered if maybe it was my storage, main reason I made this thread. Thought as the smokes sat in ny tupperdors they went bad, because they didn't taste as good as when I opened the box.

But after the Brothers responses I'm convinced I just need to mix it up more.

Thanks for the help everyone
Online trading was gonna be my suggestion to diversify. Glad you landed near there.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think it's good to have a wide variety of tobacco types and vitolas in your wheelhouse, to keep from burning out your palate.
Totally agree and I think that the vitola distinction is important for me. Sometimes I love long and skinny. Sometimes I love short and fat. Sometimes perfectos... etc. Need variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk