What's new

Gigar glue?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day!

When I first started rolling cigars back in March, I used liquid pectin in a pouch from the store. This worked very well. i recently decided to use all the little glue samples from my WLT orders. Quite different. The glue from WLT was very watery in consistency, even after being in the fridge, while the liquid pectin would gell up in the fridge. Of the two, I think I like the liquid pectin better.

I opened a jar of the dried fruit pectin just now, and it's different looking from the first two I mentioned. I'm not sure quite how much water to use with it. "Until it's glue like', I have read in searches.

What have you used and had good luck with? I'm guessing the powder glue from WLT and such places.

Just currious -

Rex

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've tried the pectin and the mystery glue samples from orders and they're ok. I found pectin to be bitter. There's a couple threads on herr about glue. I went through them and tried tapioca starch. Its now my go to. I find it more inert than other glues including tragacanth, which is my second.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried the pectin and the mystery glue samples from orders and they're ok. I found pectin to be bitter. There's a couple threads on herr about glue. I went through them and tried tapioca starch. Its now my go to. I find it more inert than other glues including tragacanth, which is my second.
Really? Tapioca starch! Interesting. I might have to look into that. Thanks for the reply.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I find it doesn't any any scent or flavor. The pectin is bitter to me and the tragacanth has a heavy wheat\flour smell to it.

The tapioca starch requires heat. Some guys use the microwave but I like using the stove. That way I can see the starch gelatinize and then adjust as needed. The best part about tapioca starch is that its ridiculously inexpensive. One pound bag is around 2 bucks. My buddy bought the tragacanth from Amazon and it was around 10 bucks for a few ounces. Let us know how your experiment goes!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangely enough, I have a 14oz bag of tapioca starch on hand. I occasionally do some Chinese cooking, and I use that as a thickener in some recipes.

Can you explain how you do the heat it up thing?

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I find pectin very easy and very effective. I keep it in a jar in the fridge. I does have a bit of sweetness to it but I don't taste it in the finished product.
Tapioca starch sounds interesting. I don't mind using heat to mix it up but how does it store and can I use it a room temperature after it is mixed up the first time? I'm all about simple.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I use gum arabic. It works perfectly. No taste, odor, etc. And it mends everything. I bought a small bag of powder from amazon and a little plastic brush jar. Just mix the powder with heated distilled water to the consistency you prefer. A little goes a long way. Here is a pic of my bottle: it has a little steel ball in the bottom to help with mixing, but I have never needed it. Once mixed it doesn't separate much at all. 16031466368415737400148618731994.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

8 tsp water to 1 tsp powder stirred constantly on a double boil then cooled. I'll pull a 1/4 tsp to use at a time, almost to thick to use it will dry quick and is best served hydrated less then half of a drop.

There is a less expensive synthetic tragacanth powder that has a longer molecule that equates to a slimy texture I don't like and, just not as adhesive.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Strangely enough, I have a 14oz bag of tapioca starch on hand. I occasionally do some Chinese cooking, and I use that as a thickener in some recipes.

Can you explain how you do the heat it up thing?

Thanks!
I use a really small pan with a little bit of water, maybe a couple tablespoons, I don't actually measure, I'm just guessing. But it boils and there's so little volume I use more because of evaporation. I use a medium heat and just before boiling I spoon in some of the tapioca starch. Keep it stirring and when the heat is right the starch will turn from white into a semi translucent gel. Adjust your water and starch until you reach your desired viscosity. Just remember to keep it moving.

I've read on here some people just pouring x amount of each and then zapping it in the microwave for a short time. I've never tried this, I prefer the control of doing it on the stove. It's not as difficult as it seems. Just dump some in and heat it up.