What's new

Glass Tubed Cigars - Humidification Needed?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my quandry -

My buddy bought me a box of Maker's Mark seasoned robustos (6x50), each of which come in a fairly large glass tube which is plugged and wax sealed. We smoked seven amongst ourselves and friends, and I now have seven left.

The question is - will those be fine for a few months on end in the glass tubes in the box they came? Those guys are a bit of a space hog and I don't have room in my humidor and I wasn't really looking to upgrade anytime soon.

I want to say no because they're in glass tubes that a fairly well sealed, but I figured I'd throw it out to the forum.

Thanks!

-DnG

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I would put them in a humidor, but that is just me, yes the will have some humidity in the tube themselves, but wax is porous so air will get in and get out...

my suggestion would be to put them in a large tupperware container with a water bottle lid or something of that nature full of distilled water to humidify the sticks

oh and I would not put them in my humi with everything else, just my thoughts( because of the Flavoring)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wax isn't the stopping material for the tube - there's a pressed in plug at the end of the glass with a sort of gasketing material to keep the tube closed. On top of that is the wax which is mostly decorative.

But, I appreciate the comments - I may give the tupperware container a try.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Randy, I think the issue was/is that he does not have the room in the humi for them...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I think the issue was/is that he does not have the room in the humi for them...
Eh, partially right: I DO have the room IF they're not in the giant glass tubes. My only qualm with taking them out of the glass tubes is that's part of the show/gimmic of them being Maker's Mark.

BTW, I find that's they're not really that bad of cigars on their own. I find the subtle whisky infusion compliments the flavorings of the cigar quite well.

So yeah, I could fit them if I crack all of them, but I'm a sucker for the presentation. :laugh:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this - I take out the packing materials from the case (which is cedar), arrange them and put a little cap of distilled water in it and make it a makeshift second humidor? :clap:

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
That should work for a little bit...

another thing to think about with mixing infused cigars in your humi uncapped and everything is that some of the flavor will leave the cigars, and will slowly affect the other non-infused cigars in the humi...

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
so in my opinion, any humidification method mentioned above, tupperware/or the packaging, should be a better alternative to mixing them in with your normal cigars without any protection...

and if you only have 7 left my thought is that you will smoke them within the near future, so you really dont have to plan for an extended amount of time

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I agree 100% with tobby4...you can setup a small tupperdor for next to nothing; just toss the sealed tubes in there. But whatever you do, don't put the loose cigars (which are flavor infused) in with the rest of your stash in your main humidor (which are not flavor innfused).

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Do not put them in your humidor. They are flavored cigars????

If so I would take them out of the glass and put them in some tupperware.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yea, I would leave them seperate from your other cigars. The flavored/aromatic cigars can really get the smell/flavor into your other sticks.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
which I know the sticks might taste good as is... but you dont want the flavor in everything