What's new

Going back to cooler set up, Boveda question

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Buy enough Bovedas that you're not worried about how long it takes. If you need 4 buy 6 and always have 2 recharging or recharged. If you place the sealed container in a sunny widow it shortens the time considerably
I was just about to post this same thing. I also discovered that putting the recharging container in a sunny window warms the water in the container and puts water vapor into the air. You can even see it collecting on the sides and top of the container. This moisture then gets absorbed into the packs overnight when the container cools back down to normal temperature.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea and it helps if you don't let them get crunchie before recharging them. Once they start getting a bit firm go ahead and recharge. As @Rupe said 2 weeks at most under normal circumstances.

If you keep 1/3 of your packs in reserve and your cooler is stabilized you won't have a problem keeping up. The recharged/reserve packs will be sitting for weeks waiting to be re-used.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Just make sure the Tupperware is sterile, and you wash your hands and use distilled water for the packs to absorb. You don’t want mold factories.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well I ordered a couple more cedar trays so I tossed some old 84% bovedas into straight DW. Good time to experiment. If this works like it used to I'm just gonna go all Boveda and have two sets. A set I use and a set I keep on standby.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
My 2 cents... I’m using (16) 60g packs distributed throughout a 150qt cooler. It has no problem holding RH and it recovers within a few minutes after closing. I do have adhesive weather stripping sealing the lid, the entire bottom is lined with 1/4” Spanish cedar boards, and it’s all box storage. I’ve had the same packs in there over a year, they’re still going strong and aren’t looking like they’re going to dry out anytime soon. All the cedar was seasoned and the bulk of the boxes came from other stabilized cooler/containers. Your mileage will probably vary depending on lid seal, contents, frequency and duration of opening, and ambient RH. I’ve had luck recharging packs in a plastic container designed to hold bread. It didn’t have any elevated rack, I put a couple whiskey glasses with distilled water. Packs put in all around them. Recharging can take a couple weeks. I’ve found recharging 84% packs can take a month or more. Again mileage may vary in your own situation.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have used coolers and added an 80 quart airtight tub. It’s like giant Tupperware.

I’ve found the best method, for me, is using heartfelt beads. You can get 65% or 70%. Get the drawstring sack or just buy some panty hose or stockings to put in and tie off.

You’ll want to get a dedicated spray bottle so you can mist the sack of beads periodically. I store mine in the basement for best temp control. I don’t use my humidor much anymore. I go straight to the tubs/coolers. I’m satisfied with the set-up and have zero plans to upgrade.

As an FYI, I might have to charge beads in cooler/basement once a year if that. Basements ROCK.