What's new

Going to a cigar shop with a walk-in humidor for the second time in my life

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time was in Kuala Lumpur Malayasia and I knew nothing about cigars. I bought 3 cubans for $40.

This time I am in the US (Colorado) and I know a little more. I have smoked about half a dozen different kinds of CAOs and several different Macanudos.

I really liked the CAO Brazilias, if that gives you an indication which direction my taste is heading in.

What should I look for? Any suggestions?

Thank you

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Padron annies ('64 or '26) preferably in maduro

fuente hemingway, don carlos, or Opus if they have it.

what it boils down to, is if you have enough time, try a stick and if you like it...buy some. others can 'tell you what to buy' as much as they want, but in the end you just gotta smoke what you like and like what you smoke!

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
on second thought...the sticks I mentioned above are a little on the pricey side usually.

If you like the CAO lines stick with the brazilias, try the criollo's, and if the carry the blacks...maybe try one of those

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The Brazilias are my go to cigar. Similar taste can be found in the Torano Signature. It's funny that I smoke the Brazilia more than anything , but when smoking something else it tends to be a completely different taste profile. Anything by Rocky Patel (Sun Grown and Corojo Edge are my favs) or just about anything from LFD.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
It's personal experience man. Try, try, try, just like Josh said. I like the Brazilias as well. If you're looking at a $6-8 cigar, I'd go to the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 ir the Sun Grown. The 90's are good, but just milder than the 92s. I would also look at the Fuente Hemingway series, though I've seen some shops charge up to $10 for them. If you want to try a Padron '64, go sith the Principe. It's the smallest and cheapest. You'll love it, but go with the cheap one to make sure. If you're looking at something cheaper, I love the Excalibur line. I also second the CAO Blacks if they have them.

Again, YOU have to figure out what you like. I love Cameroon wrappers and Sun Growns, but I'm not a big fan of Maduros, has to do with the fact that I hate the coffee taste. Your flavor profile will probably be different than mine. Try stuff until you figure out the wrappers you like, When your pallet starts getting more refined you'll be able to pick out more flavors to search for, but it's easier to pick out differences in wrappers to begin with.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Oh man, I have no idea! I grew up in the Springs and am going to college up in Greeley. There's a good cigar lounge in the Springs called Stag Tobacconist, and up here in northern CO there's Havana Manor (Longmont) and Barlow's (Lafayette). I suspect there's some classy shops in Denver, I think I've heard of one called What's Not to Love, but I've never had a need to go into Denver for some good cigars. No clue what's down south of the Springs, tho!
If you're ever up north a bit (Springs or farther) you can hit me up and I'll meet you at a lounge.

TYLER

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) One tin of ten Onyx Cigars. I think they are Impulse. They are small.

2) One Rum Runner cigar. I wish I could read it, but I am without my reading glasses and the cigar and the label is very small. This cigar is slightly longer and with a slightly larger ring guage than the aforementioned Onyx cigars.

3) One Cusano Corojo 1997

4) One Partagas 3 pack containing a Spanish Rosado San Agustin, a Black Label Clasico, and a Partagas Naturales.

I was going to get a couple of H. Upmans and a Padron, but I think I will look on cigarbid.com for those. This place was a bit pricey.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
1) One tin of ten Onyx Cigars. I think they are Impulse. They are small.

2) One Rum Runner cigar. I wish I could read it, but I am without my reading glasses and the cigar and the label is very small. This cigar is slightly longer and with a slightly larger ring guage than the aforementioned Onyx cigars.

3) One Cusano Corojo 1997

4) One Partagas 3 pack containing a Spanish Rosado San Agustin, a Black Label Clasico, and a Partagas Naturales.

I was going to get a couple of H. Upmans and a Padron, but I think I will look on cigarbid.com for those. This place was a bit pricey.
Cant comment on the Rum Runner but the three pack of partagas is a great deal. Nice way to try three very good cigars.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Ahhhhh....I remember my first days in a walk-in.....I would spend hours in there trying to figure out what to buy, and I always left spending more than I planned.

Now, I zero in on what I want, but still spend more time and money than planned. I think it's the aroma that gets you.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Nice pickup on the Onyxs. The mini belicosos are in my top few for fav. maduro.
If you decide you want a full box of them, cbid has 'em for like $50/box.
The Partagas 3-packs are good, too. The blacks are my favorite of the three.
What store did you go to?

TYLER

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pickup on the Onyxs. The mini belicosos are in my top few for fav. maduro.
If you decide you want a full box of them, cbid has 'em for like $50/box.
The Partagas 3-packs are good, too. The blacks are my favorite of the three.
What store did you go to?

TYLER
It was Rem's Pipe and Tobacco, in Grand Junction. The guy is really nice there (older gentleman) but his mark-up is understandably high.